Converting pool to pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,
We have a leak some place in our pool filtration. The leak is some where in the pipes. It was too expensive to find and fix the leak so we decided to drain the pool. I'm thinking of converting it into a pond. Some people are telling me to fill the pool with sand to make the water volume smaller. Im thinking of leaving it as is. If I do, should I paint the bottom of the pool as it is? Any help would awesome.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Welcome

Would need a bit more info. Is it above ground, in ground? Size of the pool. Are you having fish? Just plants? If you do have fish you will need come find of filtration so you made need to find the leak anyway or bypass it and still buy and install some sort of filtration setup and some sort of pump. Not sure about the paint question. What is the paint for?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If the pool was chlorinated, you’ll need to be fishless till it’s fully cleared of any chemicals. How deep is the pool? If it’s 6’+, you might fill it in a bit, but that’s a personal choice if you do so. Short of concerns for water clarity, cleaning, filtration, and refills, no need. But if you can keep the water moving, and clean, no need. As for painting it, why? Fish and plants don’t care about color, algae will cover the walls and floor eventually. I’ve converted my above ground Intex pool into a pond. On well water, so no need for me to condition it, but the walls all have a build up of algae that helps break down waste, gives fish something to snack on, and turns them a uniform color, grey right now due to winter, but soon to be green. I do have plants in mine, growing in buckets.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Welcome! Lots more details would definitely help! It's been done before though, so you can definitely do it!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
upload_2018-4-3_10-12-53.gif
@Oceanbreeze

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group Pictures help also.

Ask a Question