Cool theme for Cub Scout Family Camp (Akela)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I am, as we speak, camping with our Boy Scout troop. Every year, we help and provide teaching/support staff for our local BSA family Cub Scout camp -- it's called Akela. The theme this year is "Howl Of The Wolf." I just wanted to share these cool pics of the "staff" t-shirt (front & back views) and the "staff" participation patch. The t-shirts glow in the dark, as one of our Boy Scouts helped demonstrate.
image.jpeg

Front of shirt
image.jpeg

Back of shirt.
image.jpeg

And can't tell from the pics, but the shirts are purple -- my fav color.

Camp has gone well, and our scouts did a wonderful job!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
@Nepen what a great thing your doing for your son I was in the cubs then scouts in the 1960's here in the UK , I went on tojoin the Royal Navy became a deep sea scout visiting American cub groups in Florida its a great thing to do teaching your son disapline, independance survival Techniques and whatever the cub scouts do nowadays Tutle Mommy is the person to ask

Dav e

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
It is a wonderful program! Around here, everyone's big goal is to go through cub scouts, then boy scouts and on to Eagle scout. Eagle takes a ton of work and dedication from the scout and lots of support from the family.

However, I want to emphasize that ANY amount of scouting -- however far you take it -- is really great! I know some people who said "oh, we would never have the time to make Eagle" and so they gave up before they even started.

I really believe that (although getting to Eagle is awesome) scouting should be enjoyed for the experience and not that ultimate end goal. I am sort of a protective worrywart, and scouting has been fantastic for my boys!!!!! It gets them out of the Mom Zone and into the Man Zone. They have gained so much leadership experience and have learned so many practical skills! That's another thing. Scouting teaches very useful stuff. The eagle required badges are on very valuable skills.

BUT -- you aren't there yet. The Cubs are just sweet and adorable and beginning the scouting journey. Go for it! If your son likes it, by all means continue!!!!!

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a wonderful program! Around here, everyone's big goal is to go through cub scouts, then boy scouts and on to Eagle scout. Eagle takes a ton of work and dedication from the scout and lots of support from the family.

However, I want to emphasize that ANY amount of scouting -- however far you take it -- is really great! I know some people who said "oh, we would never have the time to make Eagle" and so they gave up before they even started.

I really believe that (although getting to Eagle is awesome) scouting should be enjoyed for the experience and not that ultimate end goal. I am sort of a protective worrywart, and scouting has been fantastic for my boys!!!!! It gets them out of the Mom Zone and into the Man Zone. They have gained so much leadership experience and have learned so many practical skills! That's another thing. Scouting teaches very useful stuff. The eagle required badges are on very valuable skills.

BUT -- you aren't there yet. The Cubs are just sweet and adorable and beginning the scouting journey. Go for it! If your son likes it, by all means continue!!!!!
AMEN!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Thanks @Mmathis @Dave 54 @bagsmom . My son is 6 and in 1st grade. I think it's great for kids.

In Thailand we don't have boy or girl scout, we have Navy or Army scout (well start out just a scout, mix boy and girl in elementary school then branch out to Navy or Army in Middle-High School). I went on learning how to cook on a camp fire, use compass etc in the scout then in Navy scout we went camping and visiting the Royal Navy and battleship. All those hike in the forest and knots and how to tell the tide and fun obstacle courses, I even learned how to shoot a rifle!
Another difference is all our scout program are in school, as part of school activities, I think it's easier that way.

I want my son to get to experience those things. I'm sure he will like it. I might have to hold it off a bit since we are leaving to Thailand in December (for 3 weeks) so may be I'll start him the beginning of next year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Nepen -- that's great!

Ohhhhh -- I remember when my guys were 6! What a sweet age!

He will love cub scouts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
The scouting program has so much to offer. I have been involved for well over 20 years and have watched kids grow into wonderful young adults. Cub scouts is meant to be fun and spark the interest in activities that will be a big part of scouts. My son looks back at his scouting career and still talks of the all of the amazing things he was able to do. Hiked the mountains of New Mexico at Philmont 4 time, scuba dived and snorkeled in Floida at Seabase ( he paid his own way for all of these). He learned leadership skills, team work and best of all he is a great cook. He loves camping, caneoing, hiking back packing and just about anything else you can do outdoors. When he joins, stay involved with him. Boys whose parents are involved seem to get more out of the program. As an adult leader i can say I have gotten much more out of scouts than I ever thought possible 23 years ago when my girlfriend asking if I wanted to help her with her cub scout den. What an amazing time it has been and will continue to be.

Ask a Question