Cool weather, fish not eating

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
20120624_175051.jpg20120624_175414.jpgWe've had 90 degree plus weather in northeast PA and all of a sudden the temps dropped dramatically. It's 10am and it's only 66 degrees and I don't know how much colder it got last night. Our fish are usually ravenous eaters. We usually feed them 2-3 times a day but yesterday and today they are all hanging on the bottom and not interested in eating. Am I correct in assuming this is temperature related?
Thanks,
Joe

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
63 here, no clue on the pond temp, but the herd is still eating. They may have gotten spooked by something. If they don't want to eat best to just wait. At least that is what I do for mine.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Yeah at first I thought they got spooked by something, there's a lot of wildlife here. But then the temperature drop had me thinking. Oh well, I'm sure they will want to eat eventually. At least they are healthy. (I hope)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can see mine hanging low right now, with all this rain the temperature has dropped. but If I walk and toss food they come running

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
It's not uncoomon for fish to stop eating during a big swing in water temps. they go deep because thats where the temps are most stable. You do want to check and make sure no water parametrs have changes drastically es[ecially if there has been a significant rain and it can cause changes in PH and that can also cause the fish to stop eating as well.

Reaction score
Had the same problem with mine (not temp related)
I'm guessing something spooked them one night. they were at the bottom for two days, but eventually started coming back up looking for food. All normal now.
I have a Beagle (max) who went crazy on the morning this problem happened. I'm guessing it was a fox, maybe trying to get a drink or something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Could very well be that they were spooked by a fox or racoon. They are eating now, but when they eat they swoop up fast and take off quickly. Normally they leisurely engorge themselves.

Ask a Question