Copper Flower Pot Weir

Reaction score
We decided to use a copper flower-pot for the weir. We cut a hole in the back and ground it smooth. We used a bulk-head fitting out the back to the pump plumbing. All along the square pot is an inward, 1/2" angle in toward the middle as a slanted inward rim. We cut the front two angles of the rim and bent the lip front down to make the shelf the water falls over. But we didn't account for the new angle of the lip and the gap between the rest of the rim and the lip that water loves to follow down into my dirt and onto the top paver above the waterlin, and all along the front and sides of the tile waterfall weir box we built!!! :p

Update: silicone around the lip and in the gaps and sides of the square waterfall weir. It is losing 2" inches of water overnight!!!!ARRRRGGGGG :cheerful: back to the drawing board.

Reaction score
I agree with DoDad. The metal makeup of copper does not work in an aquarium/pond setting with fish. And if you ever have to add salt, God help you.

Avoid the copper.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Copper in water equates to copper sulphate which is a poison. It is used to control algae in controlled amounts. Not good for fish in excess.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My wife brought home a very large copper pitcher from a garage sale and someday ?I will make a water feature with it,

Reaction score
I don't think copper sulfate is dangerous for the fish and actually if I remember it is beneficial and used for an all around preventative treatment for Ich, parasites and such. Only in high dosages it can be bad.

It is bad for plants as it disrupts photosynthesis which is great for killing algae.

I think copper sulfate a derived when an electrical current is applied to copper and it creates a blue crystallization.

As for just plain old copper I don’t know for sure but everyone fills their pond up from the copper pipes in their home.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Small amounts of copper may not be bad. That said, electrolysis occurs when dissimilar metals come into contact with water.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I made a 2' long spillway out of a 2 1/2" copper pipe i flattened it out and welded copper pipe beading on the sides
it has been in my pond for a long time ,way before i read how bad it was ..
its still is a spill way for one of my filter returns to my pond
it has a good slime coat on it ...one day i may use a flat rock

Reaction score
Does water running over copper metal dissolve it? Does it turn into ionic copper?

Good point about out salt koi keeper. I'll use a medicine tank if I use salt, followed by a freshwater(pond water) dip before putting them back into the pond. I'll check with my buddies at The John G. Shedd Aquarium; they are aquarists there. They'll probably laugh at me for making such a mistake. What metal are professional weirs made of for formal ponds? It looked like copper to me:rolleyes::confused:

Reaction score
It is definitely copper, but it may be coated, maybe that is our saving grace. If not I will out and get the right weir for fish. Our little comets seem to be doing well so far. Thanks I appreciate the feedback.:confused:

Reaction score
If you are still concerned you can get an epoxy to coat the copper, but......

As DoDad pointed out there is a a level at which copper becomes toxic to fish. I have heard so many conflicting levels at which it may be toxic. However with all that said copper or copper sulphate is also a trace element for plants and fish. Check out your fish food ingredients. Check any trace element fertilizer you use for plants. It's when the levels are raised to extremes. I was concerned with copper levels in my water at one time. I had very acidic well water, 3.8 - 4.5 depending on the time of year. I had an older home that was built before plastic pipe was legal for use and had copper pipe for water supply. The well water was so corrosive that myself and neighbors pipes would get pinholes in them. I got 2 different copper tests and neither one detected any copper. Copper is a trace element in all fish fresh cold water and tropical as well as marine. Invertabraes are most sensitive to low "toxic" levels of copper. When you get certain algae, snail and ICH solutions for ponds they are copper sulphate. The idea is to raise the level high enough to kill whatever your target is, but keep it low enough to keep fish "safe".

Reaction score
Thanks Squid! I agree. I will monitor all the importnat levels. We keep marine fish, invertebrates and corals in our aquarium tank. So far our water has not been an issue. So using LOA *ommmm* our water is wonderful! LOL

We are planting lotus tomorrow. One near Buda see video of this below:

[ame]

Ask a Question