Copper inhibits algae growth?

Reaction score
I was doing a search for some ideas on making homemade floating planters, and came across a site where someone had made a copper planter to aid in raising baby turtles: http://turtle_tails.tripod.com/raisingbabyturtles/tour13.htm

On this website, the following claim was made as to why they chose a copper planter for this project: "Remember we use copper pennies in your aquariums to prevent the growth of algae. Copper is the active ingredient in most algaecides."

So, I'm writing to ask the experts: is this indeed true? Does copper inhibit algae growth? And if so, does it inhibit all kinds (including that nasty stringy type)? And would putting copper pennies in the bottom of a pond inhibit growth? Would it hurt koi?

Thanks in advance :bouncycig:

koidaddy

karps house of koi
Reaction score
Not positive but I think the copper needs another metal/element to acheive this. I did some research years ago when I was fighting a green pond. If your pond is cycled and lightly planted you shouldn't have much of a alge problem. The only algee I have now is on the walls, which the fish love.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
copper is not a good alternative for alge control...copper is a heavy metal, has accumulative effects, and can build up in a fishes system...enough can kill!....not to mention beneficial bacteria can suffer as well

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Just so you know, Copper in any form will kill any invertabates, snails, clams, possibly even tadpoles. Now you may not want those either but they are all part of the ponds eco system. So many other ways to control algae, The more plants you have the less algae you will produce. that is a known fact and plants only help a pond, they don't cause the problems that metals would cause in a long term treatment. They remove nitrates, which cause algae growth, they produce oxygen, the remove organic matter, they form roots that grow additional bacteria colonies in the pond. Provide shade for the fish and water which alge thrive on the sunlight, and they provide food. Copper does none of that. don't waste money of copper, plants do far more good and I must say, you get a lot more veiwing pleasue from the plants for the money than you ever will from copper.

Reaction score
Thank you for all of the wisdom. I thought that sounded a bit "fishy," being that its a heavy metal. I figured that if this indeed were true, I would have read about it somewhere by this point.

It only peaked my interest because I had a problem with the "stringy" type of algae in my bog filter last season. In the actual pond, the koi did a great job in eating the algae off of the walls. So, I was thinking perhaps this would be a possible solution to that specific algae issue in the bog and waterfall. Obviously not. :)

Thanks again!

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Malak said:
I'd still like to answer the question of whether copper kills all plants. Heard that for years, but it may not be true.
All plants, I guess it would depend on how much copper is in the water, But some wouldn't bother a good many. Now how much would start killing them. I really don't know

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have also heard if you stick your tongue in a bee hive you can taste the honey, Wonder how well that tasted afterwards, that's one of those things you hear and just would rather not find out for yourself...... LOL:nananananana:

fishin4cars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
yea, I'm with you. I don't see much benefit in using copper unless it is for a specific use or medication. My grandmother used to tell me to go out and taste the honey in the bee hives when she wanted me to leave so the adults could talk. LOL I really got my bottom end tore up when I was really small cause she told me to go do that not thinking and Smart me took the water hose and chased all the bees out of the hive to get the honey. I don't really remember if I got any of the honey or not. I do however remember that my butt hurt bad enough that I didn't want anything more to do with those stupid bees and their little wooden houses!

Ask a Question