costs of construction and materials?

Reaction score
hello,

im very new to the forum and pond building, my current home has a 4ft deep pond by 6 feet long by 3 1/2 ft wide. we are considering taking it out and expanding it into something quite larger and deeper

we are hoping to make it roughlly 6 feet deep at the deepest, and 3-4 ft at the shalow end. we are hoping to expand it and make it 10-15 ft long, by 6ft wide.

since the pond is currently close to two walls of our house the only option is to make it a rectangular pond, so i know that will make buying liner cheeper

my questions are simple
how much roughly will this cost?
where should i get my liner?
how much liner should i have for edging? (not sure if thats the right turm, i may be thinking of "overhang")
what kind of filtration should i put in (was thinking of a bottome drain as well)

there are many more questions i would love to ask but so far this is what im curious about

on a side note - we plan on using a litle yard backhoe, my husbands friend has one he is willing to rent to us so digging wont be hard.

thanks in advance in your help

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
pondliners you can get the cheapest at 20 mil or go for 45 mil thickness .There are places that ship free and you can also get them on e=bay .Filter make your own and that can cost around 50 to a 100 dollars depends on how big a filter you want .Big Als.com sells pumps cheap and so does northern tool .Go with a place where for a certain amount you buy you get free shipping on the full order .I would check online for any suppliers that may be in Canada that ship free because liners are heavy and shipping them is not cheap First dig your pond and always get a liner a lot larger than the hole because when you build it you may want to in the future make the pond bigger or deeper and the extra liner you fold under will come in handy .I ended up paying less than 250 dollars for my 8x15 with 2 waterfalls and 2 filters (I made ) and my pond goes from 2 ft. deep to over 4 ft. deep .I do not have a bottom drain ,I myself don't like them because they can leak if not sealed well and not installed right .I don't feel I had the expertise to do it right .So felt it was safer to do without it .You can get a submersible pump or out of water pump .Depends on how much you are willing to spend .

ididntdoit99

ididntdoit99
Reaction score
Cost is definatley a hard thing for us to estimate because you've also got rocks, plants, and all sorts of other landscaping around and in the pond that will cost money depending upon what you want.

If you have a quarry, or know any farmers nearby you can probably find rocks for free, the border of my pond was all free from a big rock pile at my aunt's farm.

Plants... depending upon what you want can be expensive, if you know others with ponds, you may be able to get some plants from them as they grow. I know alot of my plants came from my granparents pond, and my iris, started off as one plant and I keep splitting it up and now its in four different pots.

So really, alot of the cost depends on how long you want to wait to find that great deal, or how much manual labor you want to do loading rocks into the back of a pickup and taking them to your place, things like that.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Here is my take.

my questions are simple
how much roughly will this cost? I would go with the thicker 45 mil liner, this is not something that you want to have to replace, IMO it is worth the extra cost for peace of mind. Don't forget about the underlayment that goes down before the liner, this can be bought rather inexpensively, some use carpet. I used the thicker underlayment that is sold with liners, I had rocks etc and didn't want to chance it. There are many different kinds of pumps, I have an external one (sequence) that I am very happy with and would purchase again. If you are interested in purchasing one of these pm dodad he is a member on this forum. Then you have all the other cost of rock I found mine in the neighborhood, plants this can be as much or as little as you want. Keep in mind on landscaping that perennials can be split so if you have any already you may just be able to transfer some of them saving you some $$$$$. Then there is the cost of electricity, I don't seem to notice it much on our electrical bill but that will also depend on where you live and what your electric cost.

where should i get my liner? These items you can find on the internet, but be sure you watch out for shipping, some offer free shipping other do not and since you will need a large piece of liner if you have it delivered you may have to help the trucking company unload it just keep this in mind.

how much liner should i have for edging? (not sure if thats the right turm, i may be thinking of "overhang") I would leave about 12" to 18".

what kind of filtration should i put in (was thinking of a bottome drain as well) A bottom drain (BD) is not something you have to have however if I were to redo mine I would add one and my pond is about 3000 gal and a little over 3' deep. I would build my own filter and there are different types skippy, doc etc, they can be found on the diy section on this forum. You may want to think about a skimmer, if you have trees nearby or debris that could get into the pond it helps capture all the stuff that would blow in before it sinks to the bottom.

Ask a Question