could/should I add a bog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Try to create a nice wide notch in the center with the timbers. This will be the height of your water level. The water will flow through the notch. You don't want it flowing over the whole width of the timber you have there now. It will escape over the sides. When you add the second tier of timber, use two short pieces, creating the notch in the center. You probably realize this. I don't mean to sound condescending, I just wanted to make sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Try to create a nice wide notch in the center with the timbers. This will be the height of your water level. The water will flow through the notch. You don't want it flowing over the whole width of the timber you have there now. It will escape over the sides. When you add the second tier of timber, use two short pieces, creating the notch in the center. You probably realize this. I don't mean to sound condescending, I just wanted to make sure.
Not condescending at all, no worries. Thanks for all the advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I wish it could be bigger. And problems if I turn the corner behind the shed with the bog? I’m a little concerned that the water wouldn’t flow all out the low spot in front. But it would have to wouldn’t it? Even if that meant turning a 45 degree corner to do so? I have plenty of liner. As shown the bog is 3’ wide and 5’ long. I have a 10 x 15 liner for the bog.

AB10C72A-31D9-498C-B179-27F5FF0C004F.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
I wish it could be bigger. And problems if I turn the corner behind the shed with the bog? I’m a little concerned that the water wouldn’t flow all out the low spot in front. But it would have to wouldn’t it? Even if that meant turning a 45 degree corner to do so? I have plenty of liner. As shown the bog is 3’ wide and 5’ long. I have a 10 x 15 liner for the bog.

View attachment 129111
You are doing great and keep the pictures coming!
Don't worry, the water will seek it's level and flow out of the "notch" (or low spot) by the pond. Make sure your bog walls are at least a few inches higher than the water level. Try not to trim the liner. Fold it over and stack rocks or lumber on top. You never know when you might need more liner.
I stacked rocks on top of the gravel all along the sides against the liner to hide it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
And problems if I turn the corner behind the shed with the bog?
None, water will flow out the low spot. But like said keep the liner uncut, a year or two after I built mine I had to unroll the extra liner for the rise in the water level. As roots grow, as gravel settles as who knows the water gets higher.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It might be a good idea to drill holes in the timbers and hammer rebar through into the ground for anchorage. A little extra insurance for possible shifting.
We did that with our 26 foot long timber bog wall. Drilled holes and pounded the rebar through them. With our wall we also did cement columns at the end, but we have a long wall and it was 3 foot tall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What I would do is build it up a bit 10 inches or more above the pond edge. Tuck the new liner OVER the pond liner. The water will waterfall into the main pond and most likely will not leak.
old under new ...... or new over old ....and it sounds like your overlaping not seaming

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
old under new ...... or new over old ....and it sounds like your overlaping not seaming
As it turns out, I can bring the old liner up over the lip of the bog wall. Would you advise still seaming? Or can I get away with overlapping?
40F96D3E-2083-446B-9C77-BBF40A5F9E15.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I’ve hit the wall for today. Will be back at it in the morning....but this is the rough shape of the bog. Need to finish the top layer of timbers but ran out of rebar so off to the store.

EAAF0E14-AA7B-4026-85B0-7C0772C0C4FF.jpeg

Ask a Question