Could splashback cause significant waterlevel drop?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi guys

I'm a newbie to pond building. Recently I made a waterfall waterfeature that streams into a small pond. Approx 450litres.

Problem is, the waterlevel drops roughly 10-15cm in waterlevel iver 24hours. Roughly lost about 30 or 40 litres in 24 hours.

I notice there is significant backsplash ricocheting from
20220506_091008.jpg
the waterfall to the outside rocks. There is some lining underneath but not fully covered.

Could this cause to the drop? Or would this nit cause such an extreme drop in water level?
20220506_090958.jpg

Have checked for plumbing leaks and there is none. Also no cracks in the pond. Have switched off pumps and water level stays the same. The waterfeature itself has no wet marks outside of the structure. Just around the rocks formed around the pond.

Any input would be appreciated. Or ideas as how to fix this? Was thinking of installing a transparent small fence around the edge so water drops back into the pond?

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Hi there

I'm a newbie and have recently constructed a waterfall waterfeature. It flows into a smaller pond, roughly 450 Litres/ 118 Gallons.

Problem is, I started it yesterday and ran it 24 hours and noticed by this morning, the waterlevel drop significantly. Approximate 15cm/ 5.9 inches of water level was gone.

I've inspected plumbing and that is all fine. The waterfall is held with motar and pond foam and there are no obvious wet areas on the feature itself after inspection. Its layered with pond liner entirely. The liner is dry. The pond has no cracks as I've turned off pumps and no waterlevel has dropped.

There is, however significant backsplash from the waterfall rock in the centre. And this hits the rocks on the edges of the pond which are soaking wet. There is pond liner around some areas but not all.

Could this cause such a significant drop in water level?

I'm thinking of adding a transparent fence to try reduce the amount of water breaching the pond edges via the backsplash.

Any input would be appreciated

Attachments

• 20220506_090958.jpg
    20220506_090958.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220506_091008.jpg
    20220506_091008.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 18
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a/sunset zone 23
Country
United States
I have a smaller pond and backsplash can change water levels quickly, especially since you have a very large waterfall on a small pond. Can you adjust the flow to decrease the force and amount of splashing? Or can you adjust the rocks? Not sure if they are fixed in place or not.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Is that one entire liner in the pond and under the waterfall? If it is a liner under the waterfall that overlaps into the pond and there isn’t enough of an over lap it could be escaping there. Also, pond foam and mortar aren’t necessarily going to Make the waterfall water tight, just redirecting the majority of the water over the falls.

What areas isn‘t the liner under? If it isn’t under everywhere the water goes and the edges are not built up to contain it the water will escape. Back wicking under the rocks and up insufficiently overlapped liner as well.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1651957859894.gif
@RheaBriggs04
Yes that could be your problem but no guarantees.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yes, it definitely can. Also, smaller ponds will show a water loss quicker than larger ponds. Plus, the surfaces of the rocks themselves can contribute to evaporation. One way to test is to fill the pond, mark the water level, then turn off the waterfall.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
most certainly can . but it also look like your rocks at the top of the falls on the left look pretty wet away from the water flow.
a small pond like that just the smallest of leaks you will notice water drop. i would shut down the falls and get a clear silicone or a stone clear sealer thats fish friendly if not fist then use something like rockies stone luster but stay away form any shine

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
Thanks all for the replies. Hubby is on to it and we are doing a better job at putting silicon around the top. Have also added some more rocks to try direct waterflow better into the pond. Hopefully this solves the issue.

Ask a Question