Could use help building triangular shaped, hinged "covers"

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This is a something I want to make for the turtle habitat......

You can see what I have now -- not pretty or practical.
image.jpg

=====================================================================
Now, on to what I want to do:

The top drawing [below] is basically what the habitat looks like [in my mind's eye]. The RED TRIANGLES represent corners that are designated "feeding stations" for the turtles.

The 2nd drawing [below] and pics [above] show how I have it set up for the turts to eat -- the corners are gravel and I use a large ceramic tile [or, in the case of the boys, several laid out, side-by-side] to place the food on. When the turtles are through eating, it's easy to pick up the tiles and dispose of any uneaten food.

But, I want something to act as covers for these corners. Right now I have pieces of planking laid across the corners, but I would like for the "covers" to be more substantial as well as movable for easy access. Was thinking of making hinged covers [see next 2 drawings below].

By using hinged covers, I will have [and anyone else who cares for my babies when I'm away] easy access to the feeding tiles without having to contort my body into a couple of tight spaces [and Hubby has back issues, so....].

Any ideas for how to go about constructing these? What materials to use.....? Tips, considerations.....? Dimensions for "boy cover," about 24", and "girl cover," 16-18". Both corners are 90 degrees.

Want it to be durable, lightweight, an easy-to-work-with material [I have some, but limited tools & equipment and building skills]. Want it to look somewhat "natural" and blend in with the habitat. Would like it to deflect water from directly falling on the feeding stations, but water-proof isn't necessary. IOW, the cedar planks sitting there do the job, but aren't practical and, well, they look like cedar planks sitting there...
image.jpg

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Question TM, Would you be able to take a milk crate, cut a side of it, put the tile in the bottom of it, camouflage the top of it, and lower the entire thing up and down for feeding? It would be lightweight, easy to cut, easy to pull up and lower?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Have you considered Polycarbonate?

No, but that is a good thought! I'm going to Home Depot in a few minutes, so I'll check out what they have and prices! How would PC stand up to being manipulated [opened and closed] over time? Would I have to do any reinforcing in the places with hinges?

Question TM, Would you be able to take a milk crate, cut a side of it, put the tile in the bottom of it, camouflage the top of it, and lower the entire thing up and down for feeding? It would be lightweight, easy to cut, easy to pull up and lower?

That's a good thought, too, and very simple and practical. I wish I'd thought of something that simple years ago, LOL! But with over 10 years of experience in feeding and observing these guys, I've decided that a single [permanent?] "cover" is going to be the least trouble in the long run.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Only comment I have is ... MAN, you sure know how to show things in pics and describe what you want! I wish I was that talented at using photo features to draw on pics, etc. Well done!
LOL, it's only because I'm a visual learner. Also, I know that I'll often explain things to Hubby, thinking he totally "gets it," but then discover that my verbal explanation didn't quite get my idea across.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
What about bamboo .I have a small tomato bamboo trellis that I tie my tomato's on and it is just screwed together and was moved here from my house in NJ and banged and pushed around for 20+ years and has not come apart yet .It is 5 ft high by 6 ft long .I pound it into the ground and then pull it up again and again .

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you do this with PVC pipe? "Solvent weld" without using a fitting? I would need to make 2-45 degree angles, but there isn't a connector fitting available for this tighter angle. I tried to GOOGLE this, but only found one reference for attaching pipe pieces together without using a fitting. This reference said that it would work as long as you didn't depend on the "weld" for strength [and I could reinforce it with zip-ties, duct tape, whatever.....].

image.jpg

@Meyer Jordan @fishin4cars @sissy @koiguy1969 @addy1 and "@" anyone else who has experience working with PVC pipe.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Can you do this with PVC pipe? "Solvent weld" without using a fitting? I would need to make 2-45 degree angles, but there isn't a connector fitting available for this tighter angle. I tried to GOOGLE this, but only found one reference for attaching pipe pieces together without using a fitting. This reference said that it would work as long as you didn't depend on the "weld" for strength [and I could reinforce it with zip-ties, duct tape, whatever.....].

View attachment 81054

@Meyer Jordan @fishin4cars @sissy @koiguy1969 @addy1 and "@" anyone else who has experience working with PVC pipe.

This may work but angles will have to be perfectly cut. How good are you with Geometry?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This may work but angles will have to be perfectly cut. How good are you with Geometry?
You've got to be kidding, right? My last name might be "Math"is, but for me, Math-isn't and has never been, LOL! But I do have a good supply of PVC pipe lying around to practice on -- and I know how to use a protractor [if I can only find one....].

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
to cut that angle I would make a special jig for a chop saw .But that is me clamps and a jig with the right angle .I would try a test cut until I got it right

Ask a Question