Could use some help on hummingbird feeders

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
I live in an area that has alot of bear and learned I cannot have a conventional bird feeder. I had one for 2 days and a bear climbed the tree, ripped it down and demolished it. I have a hummingbird frequenting my deck thats about 25 feet off the ground and pecking at a plant I have on a hanging post screwed to the deck. I would like to get a hummingbird feeder. Ive done some research but wanted to get some opinions on the best type of feeded that is least likely to attract bees and ants. I heard buy a red feeder because bees dont like the color red. Can someone help me out with a link to a good glass feeder or shed some insight? Thanks in advance..

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got the one from walmart it has slits for the hummers instead of holes and bees can't get in the slits

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read that the saucer shaped ones (as opposed to the jars that gravity-feed the sugar-water) were supposed to be the best to deter bees & wasps -- the ports into the nectar are deeper and insects can't get access, but hummers can with their long tongues. That being said, what's to keep them from trying, which would still disrupt the feeders..... I put out saucer feeders this year, but we're either not having a good year for hummers or they don't like the feeders as I only see (or hear) an occas. one.

Actually, I think that bees, wasps, all or whatever, prefer the colors orange or yellow. One year I painted a plastic hummer feeder in those colors, and tinted the sugar-water orange so the insects could have their own feeder (that way the hummers could still use it). I moved it to another part of the yard. I couldn't tell a difference.

Another thing I read is that wasps aren't too smart, so if you move the hummer feeder around (maybe) once a week, they can't find it. And I don't think you have to move it far. But it doesn't sound like you have that option.

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Would not the sugar-based liquid also attract bears? I know that they have no problem with invading bee hives to steal the honey.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Consider natural Hummingbird feeders. Mexican Sunflowers attract more hummingbirds than my feeders do. Coral Bells and Cardinal Flower are a decent attract too, but nothing like Mexican Sunflowers.

I've never seen bees attracted to hummingbird feeders, but yellowjackets often are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Would not the sugar-based liquid also attract bears? I know that they have no problem with invading bee hives to steal the honey.

It probably would if it was going to be hung in an area where they could get to it. Im hanging it 25ft off the ground on a shepherd's hook on my deck. There is no way for the bears to climb onto my deck as I dont have steps leading up to the deck and the posts supporting the deck are under the center of the deck. From what I researched the feeders dont leak so sugar water dripping isn't an issue either. Even if it did drip it would be dripping in grass. My main concern is attracting bees and ants because we sit on the deck all the time.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Consider natural Hummingbird feeders. Mexican Sunflowers attract more hummingbirds than my feeders do. Coral Bells and Cardinal Flower are a decent attract too, but nothing like Mexican Sunflowers.

I've never seen bees attracted to hummingbird feeders, but yellowjackets often are.

Bees, wasps, yellowjackets. Whatever you like to call them I dont want any of them around

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a

I want to attract the birds to my deck and the flowers that attract the birds are generally too large to even put on deck planters. The easiest thing would be the feeder. Maybe not the best option but in my case the only option

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now ants you can do something about! They make "ant moats" that link between the feeder and the hook. You fill them with water and the ants can't get to the feeder. They also make some feeders (like the saucer one in the picture, the one on the right) with built-in moats, but they don't hold much water.

image.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bees, wasps, yellowjackets. Whatever you like to call them I dont want any of them around

I think it's important to differentiate the difference between them since they are very different creatures. The bad ones are the ones attracted to the feeders. I'm not sure how to prevent them, I think if you have a hummingbird feeder it's just something that will happen. I once had an oriole feeder where the holes would stay closed unless a bird stuck its beak into them. Worst invention I've seen, not one Oriole or Hummingbird ever used it.

I've seen the ant moats that @Mmathis is talking about. I imagine they would definitely help with the ants.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a

That pole is a good concept but when you live in an area with bears you dont want to attract them to your yard whatsoever. When birds eat they drop the seeds all over the ground below the feeders no matter what its hanging on. The pole may save the feeders from getting destroyed but the bears will still come to eat the droppings on the ground below the feeders. I will only have a hummingbird feeder as the food is liquid (sugar water). If that drops it will go into the grass. Nothing to accumulate on the ground to attract the bear

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
That pole is a good concept but when you live in an area with bears you dont want to attract them to your yard whatsoever. When birds eat they drop the seeds all over the ground below the feeders no matter what its hanging on. The pole may save the feeders from getting destroyed but the bears will still come to eat the droppings on the ground below the feeders. I will only have a hummingbird feeder as the food is liquid (sugar water). If that drops it will go into the grass. Nothing to accumulate on the ground to attract the bear
Thats why I just posted the links as ideas. I have absolutely zero personal experience as I personally don't feed the birds or anything wild in my area. The deer and birds seem to likw the natural stuff on my land so I get to be lazy and see them without any effort on my part :D

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Bears are attracted by smell first.
It doesn't matter if it's sugar water, fruit, seeds, nuts, flowers, dandelions, a water source source, a barbeque that hasn't been cleaned, garbage....you get my point.;)
Bears will be bears.

Ask a Question