Could use some help.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi PjC. I have also had to deal with green water. What has worked for me is adding more plants. Marginal plants such as yellow flag iris and blue flag iris, and submerged plants such as anacharis and hornwort. Each year as my plants matured, the green water became less frequent, until finally no algae bloom.

PjC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you guys for all of your help and comments. The pond is finally clearing.

Since sand isn't a good choice for the filter, what kind of media should I replace the sand with?
IMG_20160509_122001.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I use lava rock and i over aerate my pond and that helps a lot with green water

PjC

Reaction score
Country
United States
I use lava rock and i over aerate my pond and that helps a lot with green water

Seen people say lava rock works well as filter media. Should I use it alone or later it with something else as well? What about bio balls or adding bacteria jump start stuff?

PjC

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi PjC. I have also had to deal with green water. What has worked for me is adding more plants. Marginal plants such as yellow flag iris and blue flag iris, and submerged plants such as anacharis and hornwort. Each year as my plants matured, the green water became less frequent, until finally no algae bloom.

Yes we definitely want more plants. The only issue I have it is it all concrete. How would I go about planting or anchoring under water plants ?

Thank you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Arachanis ( sp?) is usually sold with metal weights on it. Lilies can be planted in baskets, pot, oil pans, dish pans etc. I use floating nets for my parrots feather and begonias.

Just a few ideas , I'm sure others will chime in too :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
A lot of people just put there plants in pure clay kitty litter .I have tank filters and have used just lava rock but my neighbor uses both bio balls and lava rock

Attachments

• build stuff and pond 11-17-2015 019.JPG
    build stuff and pond 11-17-2015 019.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 148

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How would I go about planting or anchoring under water plants ?
Anacharis and hornwort sometimes already come with weights around the bunches. If not, they usually have some you can buy.
The marginal plants could be potted in baskets and placed around your edges, especially in the area indicated below. The open weave of the baskets will allow the plants to soak up the water from below.

pond.jpg
pond planting basket.jpg

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
even your pump if small enough can be put in those larger baskets with lava rock around to help filter the water and to keep the pump stable .I got mine at lowes clearanced out

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Water lilies can be planted in oil pans in kitty litter as @sissy mentioned. I planted my water lilies in hanging baskets so I could use a large stick with a hook on it to get them out to trim dead leaves and fertilize. Water lilies are great for providing shade, which will also help with the green water.
In this picture you can see the water lilies in the hanging pots and the blue iris planted in one of those mesh baskets.
2016-4-18 inside.JPG

PjC

Reaction score
Country
United States
So due to the sand in my filter getting so clogged I had to flush it literally daily. I switched to lava rock and a small later of garden gravel at the bottom. ... holy cow I am moving way more water through the filter than I as with sand. Hopefully it works decently.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
So due to the sand in my filter getting so clogged I had to flush it literally daily. I switched to lava rock and a small later of garden gravel at the bottom. ... holy cow I am moving way more water through the filter than I as with sand. Hopefully it works decently.

Switch out the lava rock for an artificial substrate, they don't clog up over time and are much easier to clean when you need to clean.

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
A lot of people just put there plants in pure clay kitty litter .I have tank filters and have used just lava rock but my neighbor uses both bio balls and lava rock

I like to plant in pea gravel and use once-a-year fertilizer spikes for lilies. So far, so good for years.

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Arachanis ( sp?) is usually sold with metal weights on it.
Those lead weights are meant to hold the bunch together until it is sold. The stems will eventually rot at that point and float off into the wild blue yonder. Remove the lead and plant the stems in a suitable medium. (All except Hornwort, which really doesn't root.)
John

Ask a Question