Courtice Ontario

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum, JCR. I'm about 10 minutes from you. Tossed out several wheelbarrow loads of plants last fall, because I couldn't find anyone who wanted them! I may be able to find a few more once the ice is off the pond: I'll keep you in mind.
John

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Lots of water plants will winter just fine in a dry bed. I have aquatic mint that comes back next to the pond on the dry ground beside the pond each year. Same with the yellow flag, that can go dry too, and so can lots of rushes and grasses. Most pond plants can go dry for the winter and still come back nice each year. Plants have adapted very well to both wet and dry land, as in nature sometimes the lake water level will drop but the cattails and rushes will still grow, maybe not as nice durning a drought summer, but dry winter should not hurt most plants.

Reaction score
We are in Toronto and our bog bean winters over very well, don't need to plant it at all and it spreads nicely. We also have grasses which freeze solid but come back each year. There are lots of different options.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Looking down from deck to pond, winter not quite ready to move on. Had an air pump keeping a hole open in ice on pond until yesterday. Air Pump failed - Fixed air pump but air line has frozen I do have air space between water and the layer of ice hoping fish will be ok?

Added Summer Picture

Attachments

• P1040959A.JPG
    P1040959A.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 214
  • P1030034a.JPG
    P1030034a.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 243
  • P1040959A2.JPG
    P1040959A2.JPG
    119.3 KB · Views: 267

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The other fish inside that cover have it good! Hope the ones out it the freezing pond are ok.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
here they call it a blue morning and happens when you get snow overnight .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Blue is just the natural lighting playing tricks with you, and it looks really good, and I see you got a ton of snow. I made a cold frame like that one year many many years ago, but I found I developed fungas as a result of the greenhouse plastic. The plastic filters the suns strongest spectrum and you may get while fungas growing everywhere inside the pond, even on the fish. After I took the cold frame off the fungas quickly went away by itself, as the sun burnt it up naturally. No fish were injured by the white fungas and it too went away when the sun shone on the pond. Just keep an eye out inside the cold frame I case it happens to you.

It has been over 20 years now since I had covered the pond that one winter, and have not seen the fungus again. I do heat the water when temperatures fall below minis 10 C. I used to work at a large greenhouse that had plastic frames on one side of the lot. The frames that had glass, we never had trouble with mold and fungas, but in the plastic frames we always were using a fungicide to pervent the mold and fungas.

I really enjoyed your beautiful winter wonderland pictures! :)

Ask a Question