Covering air pump -- ideas needed

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For the past 2 years, my aerator [a PondMaster -- don't recall the model] has been under an EZ-Up shelter, next to my QT. But due to weather damage, we've had to discard the EZ-up and don't plan to replace it. Which now leaves my air pump exposed to the elements.

1 -- How do you cover your aerator pumps? If you have any pictures [I'm a "visual" person], please post, no matter how crude or cute -- as long as your solution works to "weather-proof" your pump.

2 -- I did a search and found this pump cover (prettier than a bucket....). Has anyone used a product like this? Quick & easy. (see A)

3 -- Eventually, I'd like to build a miniature "house" to insulate and cover the pump (like B), but for now it's gonna have to be something more practical....like a bucket....with air holes....

image.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Mine isn't pretty but it works. We bought a rubbermaid storage bin and drilled holes in it for air circulation and cords. I also put some foam packing material around the inside of the tote to help insulate it. It's sitting on the ground next to my stock tank and partially hidden under some flowers/plants. I have had it outside with my airpump running for the last 2 years (even in the winter) and it has worked great.

shopping.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United Kingdom
Mine isn't pretty but it works. We bought a rubbermaid storage bin and drilled holes in it ...
I have almost the same Maria, but behind a retaining wall so not visible. I have several planks of wood over mine to kill the noise as well, I like just the whooshing of the aeration. But have a waterfall now that drowns it out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I used to use an overturned terra cotta flower pot, with a saucer on the top to cover the hole. I place the pot on a few stones for air flow. Then one day I was on a walk and trash picked this little wooden play house, painted it and voila...my pond shack was born :)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I used to use an overturned terra cotta flower pot, with a saucer on the top to cover the hole. I place the pot on a few stones for air flow. Then one day I was on a walk and trash picked this little wooden play house, painted it and voila...my pond shack was born :)
Do you have a picture?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Of the pond shack? I probably do, but will have to search through my vast pictures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Tula, Love your pond shack (y)
Honestly, I was out on a morning walk and it was sitting out for trash. I called hubby and said "Bring round the car!" and off we went! I forget what color is was originally, but a fresh coat of paint took care of that and some new hardware....found the fish sign at the Good Will :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
GetAttachment[1].jpg
I'm currently using a bucket with a lid and some holes in it. Holds 2 large pumps. I do have plans to build something "pretty" some day though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
I have almost the same Maria, but behind a retaining wall so not visible. I have several planks of wood over mine to kill the noise as well, I like just the whooshing of the aeration. But have a waterfall now that drowns it out.
Marioa our's is all tucked away on a bench inside the fllterhousing then on top of that we have an upturned plastic box .
We decided on this basically to protect the air filter pads a bit of extra life time as like Rodsboys we run two air pumps .
I like your idea though Maggie very rustic

Dave

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Although we didn't really plan it this way, it worked out pretty well. Our pond was a hard rectangle and we wanted to break up the lines a little. A couple of railroad ties laid diagonal across one corner created a bridge of sorts, and provided a small area underneath to hide most of the equipment. The two pieces of liner protect two GFI units from whatever rain may find it's way through the bridge.
DSC01080.JPG DSC01084.JPG DSC01082.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice hiding hole! Our pump is under 1/2 of a 55 gallon barrel, painted with brown, gray paint, the plants hide it well..

Ask a Question