Cracks in aggregate OVER edpm liner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello to all.

I'm new to group and find this forum a wealth of info.... friendly, helpful posts. Thanks for all of your contributions.

My pond is 9 years old. It is an edpm liner UNDER an concrete aggregate substance. 3000 gallons

I have cracks in the aggregate and wondering how to fix ... permanently. I spoke with an Aquascape individual (my pond was not built the "Aquascape" way.) The builder/artist was a 3rd gen pond builder and this is the way he built the pond, which I really liked. Thought the aggregate as 2nd layer, would forestall any cracks in the underliner.

CRACKS have developed in the aggregate, in the waterfall area and partial perimeter of pond. Also, the rocks were MORTARED in, and 6 or so have come out and need to be re-mortared in. (These are 100 ish pounds ... large boulders ... river rock.

Spoke with AquaScape owner and he does not fix ... said all he was doing was a BANDAGE job, trying to fix the leaks in my type of pond. SAID THE WAY MY pond was constructed, he was going back every 6 months and patching same leaks in ponds that built like mine.

Indicated when aggregate had leaks, it WOULD CRACK/RUB AGAINST THE EDPM LINER AND THEN THAT LINER WOULD DEVELOP HOLES.

Has anyone had this issue and how do you resolve?
1. Get rubber/silicone type substance and patch liner; and then...
2. RE mortar with something waterproof mortar like Quickrete?? I would need something that sets up in a few minutes; and cannot empty the pond to repair.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Belinda

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
1566930819958.gif
@Belindab77
Wow you do have an issue but I'm sorry I have no experience w/this situation. Hopefully someone else can help.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Forgive my ignorance, but why does it matter if the aggregate is cracked? The EPDM should prevent leaking, right? It's an unusual way to build a pond for sure.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think she was told that when the aggregate cracks it could cut the liner underneath @Lisak1
Not sure if this has happened yet or not. I myself would think you would have to remove all the aggregate to stop this from happening again but then I know nothing about it. My hubby says you can patch it but it will just keep happening. It's almost like this is a nightmare that she will have to fix by starting all over if the liner is actually leaking already. I would say if it's not torn and leaking to just live w/it till it does.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Welcome to our group!

I would think even if the aggregate cracked it should not make the epdm tear or leak. It is not moving, against the epdm, imho.
Are you having leaks? If not I would just ignore, if it was my pond.

The pond guy may just be looking for a good fix it job, tear all out rebuild your pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's my thought too - I don't know why a crack would case the liner to tear. I'd test that theory if it were me. The only think I can see happening is water getting behind the aggregate and causing more cracking.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all for your input. I may have a small leak but will be checking my water usage.
That's my thought too - I don't know why a crack would case the liner to tear. I'd test that theory if it were me. The only think I can see happening is water getting behind the aggregate and causing more cracking.
Thank you ...good advice. ☺

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Can you post some pictures?
Most of us just stack rocks and flat stones to hide our liner. Some people use blocks or other type of cap stones for a more modern look.
I would refrain from anything permanent which prevents accessing the liner, but everyone has different views or ideas. For example, If you ever have to replace the liner, you'll have to chip away all that concrete.
But since yours is already built that way, maybe just patch the cracks. There is a latex bonding agent that you can use in the cracks that help the new cement stick better. I don't know if that latex stuff will hurt fish or plants though, so check into that. Try to keep the cement out of the pond too. I've heard that cement can leach lime into the water which may also be harmful.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Another ad person who joined exactly the same date as the other one on another thread.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of us just stack rocks and flat stones to hide our liner. Some people use blocks or other type of cap stones for a more modern look.
I would refrain from anything permanent which prevents accessing the liner, but everyone has different views or ideas. For example, If you ever have to replace the liner, you'll have to chip away all that concrete.
But since yours is already built that way, maybe just patch the cracks. There is a latex bonding agent that you can use in the cracks that help the new cement stick better. I don't know if that latex stuff will hurt fish or plants though, so check into that. Try to keep the cement out of the pond too. I've heard that cement can leach lime into the water which may also be harmful.

I'll get some pics for you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'll get some pics for you.
Thank you all for your input. I may have a small leak but will be checking my water usage.

Thank you ...good advice. ☺
Here we go, Pocono Joe, with some pics.
One should show crack in waterfall; there are a couple with Cracks around perimeter of pond, and then one where you can see a giant river rock Boulder that needs to be remortared in.

Thanks to all for Solutions.

Further info on the pond...
3000 gallons, it has a beaded filter, bottom drains, two... and an in-ground skimmer. I wasn't told much about the equipment. And, I'm not mechanically inclined. Read a post A while ago that mention bottom drains were retro. I guess many people are now doing the Aquascape ponds.
0829191411b.jpg
0829191411a.jpg
0829191410.jpg
0829191411.jpg
0829191411b.jpg
0829191411b.jpg
0829191411a.jpg
0829191410.jpg
0829191411.jpg
0829191411a.jpg
I will hop on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Your pond description sounds nice.
Good size pond, I must say.
The hydraulic cement idea sounds good.
I see the concern about the cracks. If water gets in those cracks and freezes, it could widen the cracks.

Ask a Question