Crawfish?

Reaction score
Ok, I have Bluegill, Goldfish, Bass, catfish, Koi, snails and algae eaters in my pond right now. Now my kids want me add crawfish too! Does anyone else have crawfish in their ponds? If i remember right, crawfish tunnel down in the mud. Will they be able to break through the liner and or puncture it? Personlly I wouldn't mind to have some crawfish in the pond and when they get big enough boil them up. :banghead3: But will they damage the bottom of the pond at all? I told my kids we would go out to the creek and try and find some in the morning, but if there is any chance of damaging the liner, I think it might be best to keep them in the aquarium? Any ponders out there have crawfish in their ponds without any problems? if so, what do they eat or do they just scanvege along the bottom. Also, my pond is 4 1/2 feet deep. Is that too deep for crawfish? the only ones I've seen have always been in shallow creek beds.

Luckily all the lake fish fish are getting along with the goldfish and Koi. So far none of them have bothered my bigger gold fish and Koi, I keep a nice supply of the 14 cent tiny comet gold fish for them to snack on.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
when i eat them i cook about 60 lb how long will that take you to get the numbers up :)

Reaction score
60 lbs! Whoa... Ummm.. Hopefully never or my lawn will be filled with crawfish crawling out of the pond... LOL

Reaction score
My sister's sister in law runs a Chinese restaurant and brought home some sort of live crayfish, they were about 5 - 6 inches long (not sure if they are considered crawfish). My sister didn't have the heart to eat them so she put them in her 35 gallon aquarium and the next day she found them walking around the house, they had crawled out and were making a run for it. They are still alive today about 3 months later, she feeds them some sort of algae flakes and they go to town on them. I'd be afraid they would nip at the fish in the pond, they seem pretty aggressive.

Reaction score
w00005414 said:
My sister's sister in law runs a Chinese restaurant and brought home some sort of live crayfish, they were about 5 - 6 inches long (not sure if they are considered crawfish). My sister didn't have the heart to eat them so she put them in her 35 gallon aquarium and the next day she found them walking around the house, they had crawled out and were making a run for it. They are still alive today about 3 months later, she feeds them some sort of algae flakes and they go to town on them. I'd be afraid they would nip at the fish in the pond, they seem pretty aggressive.

Yea I figured they would be aggresive, but dont they usually just stay near the bottom. They cant swim and catch the fish can they? I have a few in my 10 gallon aquarium, luckily it has a top on it so they havent got out, and I dont have any fish in it. I guess I'll go get some of the little comet goldfish I feed to my lake fish and see if the crawfish do anything to them. If they kill the fish, then they are going in the pot. ;) if not I think for now, I'll just leave them in the aquarium.

Reaction score
I have two crawfish in my pond that I got some petsmart for free, at first I was happy because I heard they can help keep a pond clean by scavenging.
Now I am trying to get rid of them, I hate seeing some of my fishes with missing fins and some dead and all eaten up. I know crawfish will try to eat your fish when they're sleeping close to the bottom.
If your pond is 4 feet deep, you will never see those crawfish so what's the point of putting them there in the first place?I am not sure if they're really that usefull to keep a pond clean... Just my story.

Ask a Question