Crazy idea...trash can for pond?

Joshaeus

Water hawthorn, Aponogeton Distachyos
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Here's a bizarre idea...could I use a large, round, plastic trash can for a water garden? If so, is there any way I can paint the exterior to make it a little more attractive? My family is moving to another apartment within a few weeks, and my landlord has requested that any water gardens are confined to the patio, which is about 5 ft by 30 inches...I need something that is both compact AND provides the height required to convince water lilies to bloom (though obviously it's going to take some thought to get marginals to grow in this thing!). Thanks!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Water lilies don't need a depth to grow or bloom. I have one in my patio pond which is less than 18 inches deep.

Here's what I have:

These aren't cheap by any means, but they are durable, they have shelves for plants, are set up for small pumps, they're finished to look nice on the patio, and will last for years and years. Other manufacturers may make something similar - I've never really checked - but I love mine!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
And another one:

I just feel like all the things you've suggested will look exactly like what they are - a trash can or tote with water in it. These are made for the purpose you're trying to achieve - I'd cut to the chase and get the right tool for the job.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just have some small minnows in the pond, zero biters will breed. And water movement

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grow water plants in several small tubs. One is a plastic stock tank, another is a planter that I sealed with putty and sealant, and another used to be storage bin. If you feel you want a tall narrow container, a trash can could possibly work, but a container that is deeper than wide might be awkward to manage.

I control mosquitoes with B.t.i. flakes. B.t.i. is a type of beneficial bacteria that kills aquatic fly larvae, including mosquitoes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Tuff Tubs has a nice selection of round and oval tubs which look better than trash cans.

Ask a Question