Crazy question, I think

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
So I am setting up a test pond for this crazy idea I have. Starting fairly small this year and looking for a minimal but effective expense It's a crazy idea for some aquatic stock that isn't generally set up in such a fashion and is at least this year a summer set up only.
Because of my plans for stocking I'm hitting some research issues with my filtration and I'm hoping maybe someone more experienced can offer some input, advice and even criticism lol tear me up if necessary!
I'm attempting to figure a way to run a sponge filtration system in a 70g tub It's approximately 6' x 2' x 16". My thoughts are 2-3 sponges attached to the intake of the pump and the out flow will go back via a water fall of sorts. I'm fairly efficient with PVC and willing to DIY much of it. I'm in a bind as I don't know whether I should use a submerged pump or not... Submerged leaves the issue of sucking up my stock or building around the pump taking up a large area of the tub. An external pump leaves me contending with the dust as I'm high desert and there can be a LOT of it at times.
I have done indoor tanks for nearly 30 years and am taking a crash course in pond systems and have found much of what I know for aquariums to be significantly different than ponds!
Now I so completely open to ideas it's crazy but I do have to meet a couple requirements. 1. It's for stock that is less than an inch on average all which breed prolifically and I prefer not to be sucking up my stock or blowing them all over 2. It's triple digits here for several weeks on average in the summer so dispersing the outflow to keep water movement and aeration up is vital.
I'm happy to provide any additional information as needed and appreciate any sources to obtain what maybe needed. Also brand or pump recommendations would be lovely.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's a bit more spendy than I'd want to go and still have to add actual filtration as well. But it's good to know something like that is out there for down the road! I could probably put together a prefilter fairly easily but I'm hoping to rather than a standard prefilter is to create the filtration as one extra large prefilter having the water pulled through as a standard sponge filter would with air but rather than running the air pump use a water pump

Ask a Question