Crazy weather...cold then warm... my poor fish

Reaction score
With this crazy weather, my fish don't know what to do. Yesterday it was 70*, today 60ish, tomorrow I think I heard possible snow. My fish are at the top today. Every time I walk past they come over and think I'm going to feed them. It makes me feel bad :sad: I wish this weather would make it's mind up LOL.

I haven't checked water temp for a while. Am I causing them pain by not feeding them?
Do you think when the water reaches the 30's , it's painful for the fish?
What do you all think? I know I can't change it. I'm just wondering :dunno:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Well we just got a line of heavy rain and strong winds that lasted about an hour and now it's gone .This morning it was almost 70 degree's outside and it was pea soup foggy out .

Reaction score
I guess that was a weird question. Only 1 reply, thanks Sissy ;)
Still crazy weather, yesterday was 65* and beautiful. Today upper 50's and rain. Tomorrow morning possible snow. We are supposed to have lows in the upper 20's every night this week.
I hope I'm doing the right thing by not feeding my fish. I haven't fed them since the end of October. They've been pretty active the last couple of days. I guess that will change again with the temp dropping.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My lilies are growing leaves again, just hitting the surface! My pond temp has been as low as 41 today it was 54, still not feeding them. They have been more active recently, but cold is coming again

Frogs have even gone from hibernating to sitting on the edge of the pond. Plants were froze and are now blooming and growing new leaves..............go figure

The fish go into a hibernation mode, they just sort of float and wait for warm weather. I doubt it hurts them.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are definitely doing the right thing in not feeding them. You don't want food sitting in their guts not digesting cuz their metabolism's are low now. Could kill them to feed them. I haven't fed mine for a month now or more and won't feed them anything again til Spring temps are warming the water to 50+ or more.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Are weather has been warm but dropped off yesterday to snow on the roof this morning
Im done feeding until spring also

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My second cold winter, other pond was in hot arizona. First winter just let it freeze but no clue we had fish. This winter, stopped feeding a month ago, I watch them nibble on plants. When it gets colder they settle to bottom, warms up some they come to the top and nibble on plants, swim around some.

This winter once we get colder just going to turn off the pump and run the aerator to keep a hole in the ice.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep gotta keep a hole in the ice to allow bad gases to escape even if all you do is go out and set a pan of hot water on the ice to melt it. Do not break the ice tho or could hurt the fish. Sound is too loud and percussion or whatever you call it would make them go hog wild! I use a bubbling water tube and an old air pump from an aquarium w/ line attached and it blows bubbles just enough to keep a hole in case we get ice. We don't get much and doesn't last long so you may have to use a more powerful air stone in yours Mike cuz you are in the cold Northlands of PA.

Reaction score
I left my pump/waterfall run all through the winter. Everything seemed to be fine. I also ran one of those heaters that keep a hole in the ice when there was more ice. I plan to do the same this year. :dunno: :fingersx:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yeah Mike in the 100 club!

we are dropping dropping dropping, never got above 44 today, low 30 tonight.....think winter is moving in

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Mike; apparently fish have little or no pain sensation, but do you think they would be more 'uncomfortable' with an empty gut or with a load of fermenting food bloating them like a balloon?
John

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
poor fish .I guess a lot of people seem to think there poor fish are starving because fish are pigs no matter what .You control the food so you have to think of there health .It's hard to say no .But it must be so .HAPPY 100TH

Reaction score
Mike; apparently fish have little or no pain sensation, but do you think they would be more 'uncomfortable' with an empty gut or with a load of fermenting food bloating them like a balloon?
John
poor fish .I guess a lot of people seem to think there poor fish are starving because fish are pigs no matter what .You control the food so you have to think of there health .It's hard to say no .But it must be so .HAPPY 100TH

Very good points.

And Thank you for the congrats on the 100th post :wave:

Ask a Question