Creating levels in a pool to pond conversion

Reaction score
Hello there. Thanks to all posters for all the great advice already on these forums.
I am four weeks into my swimming pool to pond conversion in Sydney Australia, the water is now chemical free and I have a few plants that are surviving and getting wrigglers and insects. Solar fountain and bubbler arrive tomorrow.
The pool is about 6m (20feet) x 4m (13ft) and 2m (6 1/2 ft) at its deepest.
I have made a floating island and need to create some levels for submerged pots.
As I am trying to do this at low/no cost, I am looking at old furniture and scrap - picnic tables, bookshelves etc.
Is there anything I should avoid? Will painted tables or steel frames leak toxins into the water? Is plastic OK?
Thank you in advance!
Nick

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nick

Plastic will work or bricks/blocks. I would not use steel as it will rust and leach into the pond. Wood will rot and paint on them might be poison. Stainless steel would work but no sharp legs or it will put holes in your liner and stainless is pretty expensive.
You could make something like this. My friend made these out of pvc:
plantstands.jpg

Plantstandedited.jpg

large_11.jpg

Reaction score
Thanks JW. I will hold off from chucking my old table in there! I have a fair bit of pipe around, so I'll try that.
N

Ask a Question