Creating ripples

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Our pondless waterfall has a slow flow to it. It's not a large stream at all, probably 2-3ft x 8-10ft, nor does it drop far over that distance, about 2ft. We were at a restaurant that had a natural stream behind it in the woods. It had ripples in it. Our lil stream does not have ripples in it. My wife said that would be neat of we could somehow create ripples in our stream. How would a person do that? Would a more powerful pump do it?

Ad

Advertisements

JRS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Is your stream flowing around/over rocks and gravel to break up the water flow? If so, it seems like more pumping volume or more restrictions in the stream would be needed. I have yet to work on my small waterfall so not much specific experience.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, there's river rock and bigger rocks in it. But I'm not sure a bigger pump in the bottom reservoir would work. That would pump more water and maybe at a faster rate into the upper reservoir. Would that then trickle out faster and create ripples?

JRS

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would add more rocks,make part of the stream more narrow.

Can you post a picture so we can see what you have?

Ad

Advertisements

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very nice and pretty stream!
It doesn't look like the water is deep enough to ripple.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks. I don't think making it deeper will help. My experience making it deeper made the surface water more smooth.

addy1

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My stream ripples, but it is narrow and coming down a really steep hill. The pump is pushing it up a hill (over 100 feet of head pressure) The pump is around 1600 gph which is really reduced as it heads back down the hill.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United States
This was about 4 yrs ago when we built it but it's not changed much.

View attachment 125443
I wouldn't change any of your pump or plumbing until you've tried easier solutions first. These are not permanent suggestions rather, they are ideas to see if you can get the effect desired. Take two bricks and place them on their sides in a 'V' formation and see if you get rippling. Move them around and experiment. If so, you can replace the bricks with decorative rocks. Another idea is to take steel 'L' brackets and place them on the steam bed. Use flat bricks to hold them in place. They should create small eddies. You will probably get ripples and water diversions by simply placing rounded cobbles on the stream bed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
It is the distance your hose is out of the pond to where it comes out the end .You can always just use another pump or divert some of the water like I do in my waterfall pond .I cut the hose and used pvc pipe to make as home made spitter
100_8613.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks for the head pressure info Sissy. Much appreciated.

Thank you also for the experiment ideas Stephen. Will give em a try next spring after we come out of the deep freeze here in MN.

This forum is very helpful.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
your water pressure looks to be very low if you were to place a line across the water area using sand would it stay or is the flow going to wash it away ? if it's going to wash it away. Your could shut down the pumps let the rocks dry then run a bead of clear caulking across the large flat rock and sprinkle some sand onto it and lightly push it into the calking. you can do that many ways but i would use a small 1" paint brush and tap or brush the sand into the silicone lightly repeat this a few times and you should make ripples as the water flows over your bead of silicone and sand as they are basically making damns the water flows over . if one area lets to much water out shut the pumps down let it dry and try to add more silicone to the area. experiment and enjoy the challenge for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction think of the beach the lines in the sand at the waters edge they are never straight they are always wavy but in a horizontal plane

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question