Creeping future

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Just bought a fairly small pot of Creeping Jenny , hoping it will creep around the perimeter
of the pond , colonizing rocks and edge waters , mainly to cover and hide any exposed liner
and protect it from sun / uv damage . An added bonus would be an accent to the pond's
shoreline in the winter , as it is supposedly an evergreen.
And my question to you , my fellow water gardeners is:
Will Jenny spread horizontally by rooting itself in soil and water along the way, just like say
Periwinkle does , creating independent baby plants, or is it one plant feeding from one
root ball ? and if so is it easy to propagate it from cuttings?
Your hands-on experience is very appreciated - Abe (and Jenny)

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It does creep and the “creepers” will put down roots, rooting itself as it goes — so yes, easy to propagate. Most of what I have growing now is from cuttings. Once it gets established it grows well, but not sure if “one small pot” of it is going to quickly cover a large space. You might want a few more pots, then you’ll have a little more to work with initially. I have heard of it’s being invasive, but I’ve never had that issue. Guess it depends on the particular growing conditions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We purchased 4 or 5 small pots of creeping jenny from Wal-Mart, late in the season, and planted it in the front of a raised flower bed. By the following Spring it had filled and flowed over the edges. Despite the invasive nature it is easily controlled by pulling it from wherever you don't want it. I transplant it to other areas, and I'm not even gentle about it. I literally grab a handful of jenny and dirt, and go shove it into whatever crevasse, and it grows like mad. Clumps of it that I transplanted back in February of this year are already 3-4 times their original size and even flowered. I love how it trails right into the pond water.

Happy gardening!

Abe

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4B-5A
Country
Canada
Thanks guys , I better get couple more of these small pots to get some fast results.
The nursery I buy from goes on 2 for 1 sale in 2 weeks ... I probably could not wait that long...

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
Has anyone had any success with creeping jenny in a full or almost full shade environment?
My pond is morning/evening part sun otherwise shaded. I removed the dirt from the Jenny and planted in pea gravel in my mini bog. It didn’t even care. It just started creeping.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Has anyone had any success with creeping jenny in a full or almost full shade environment?
I have some in shade, some in sun, some in shade/sun. Some in water, some in dirt, some in gravel. It just grows.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
My pond is morning/evening part sun otherwise shaded. I removed the dirt from the Jenny and planted in pea gravel in my mini bog. It didn’t even care. It just started creeping.
Thanks that sounds great I was going to put it in the beds around the pond but would love to put it in the gravel bog as well!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have it creeping on the side of the hot tub pond, root in the water
Capture.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Hey that's a neat idea. I'm hoping to get some water lilies into my pond too (bare rooted if possible) I hear certain types might do ok in a shaded area too but maybe won't bloom. Any idea what kind might do well in shade?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Just as a hardiness note...I'm in zone 6a. The winters can be harsh here. The creeping Jennys that we plant and the ones in the pond always survive the winter. However the ones we just left in their small pots, just stuck between rocks, did not. So, they need to be planted or placed in the pond.

Ask a Question