Creeping Jenny as marginal?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Am I dreaming it, or do some of you grow Creeping Jenny as a marginal -- with it's feet in the water?

My stores don't have aquatics in yet -- I have a small pool I'd like to get some plants in to help with water quality.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I mostly grow it on the outside edge of my pond, but it creeps its way in and does just fine. I also have a floating island that is now an island of creeping Jenny as she creeped herself right out on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I've used wild strawberry along the margins and it tended to send runners into the water, which did fine for at least a couple years partially submerged. I'm going to put some Creeping Jenny in this year and see how it does, but mostly in the rocks near the pond.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found this online a few years ago. I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

plants - creeping jenny (1).jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
I'm doing an experiment. I got three really small ones for $2 each. I put them in small planting bags with kitty litter and have them on the shelves. If they look like they are suffering, I can move them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Very pretty! I think I have too much sun for impatiens, but I love them!

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Same here. Maybe when my tree gets bigger I will have some shade and can try it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Wow - those are gorgeous! Do you have them in regular soil at the edge? Or are they contained in something? I love hot pink!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Nope. No soil at all. I buy a tray of them every May (you know - the one that has like 44 plants). They are in the tiny cells, hardly any dirt at all - I pop that little cell out and stuff the whole thing, dirt and all, between a couple of rocks. I make sure it will be constantly in contact with the water wherever I chose to stick it and voila! The only reason for the rocks is to hold the little plant in place long enough for it to take root. The go from basically a single stalk plant to a bush by the end of summer. The stems will be thicker than my fingers!

Ask a Question