Creeping Jenny Question and placing plants in a pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I bought some creeping jenny roots and plan on putting it a container that allows water to seep through then place it on top of a rock in the pond.

What soil would you place in the container? Would you use sand and depend on the rich fish water to help it grow, or would you actually use soil without fertilizers or soil with fertilizers?

Advise please?

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
Mine was planted in the ground next to the pond and creeped into the water. It looks good and the water bound roots real do suck up the nutrients.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 2,474
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Mine was planted in the ground next to the pond and creeped into the water. It looks good and the water bound roots real do suck up the nutrients.

If it creeps from the outside to the inside like that, does it still consume from the water? The roots are on the outside after all.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It sends out a lot of roots into the water.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
When I bought mine last year, I shoved them in between the rocks. They didn't do so well, and I thought they wouldn't make it through the winter. I noticed a couple weeks ago they're starting to grow again, so I'll have to see how they do this year. I'm sure if I planted them in the ground they'd do better but I don't want to take a chance with their invasiveness.

peter hillman

Let me think for minute....
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3-5
Country
United States
At first I didn't like way it was spreading, I didn't want it in the yard, now it seems to have found a good home in the water and less so on land. I really like it and would not consider removing it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So if I let it go into the water and leave it there it won't rot? (that was the main reason I trimmed it back) Does anyone know if I trim the stems can I replant them around the pond? Do they need to have roots first before replanting?

Ask a Question