JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I went to a garden center that usually carries pond plants (though it seems they don't anymore), but I did see Creeping Jenny so I grabbed it. I remember seeing pictures of it in the water and thought it was pretty cool. I also remember reading about it. My question is, what is the best way to plant it? I know if its planted in the ground it can spread like a wildfire. I'm not sure if it can be planted in a pot in the pond, and what water depth it requires. I'd also love to see pics of how yours are used if you have any.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I just have mine planted in some books and crannies at the edge of the pond image.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
stream

upload_2015-5-6_18-38-6.jpeg

pot

upload_2015-5-6_18-38-34.jpeg

blooming

upload_2015-5-6_18-41-19.jpeg

Mine also floats in the pond, with little roots hanging down oh and grows in the bog roots under water, roots just in the gravel. I actually like it out in the yard too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Around the pond, on the rock ledge in the water. Yep floats and grows green and healthy in the water along the edge. I have light green and dark green.
I don't have any pics of it that are as good as Addys.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
thanks for the ideas everyone! I was going to try to pot mine but now I wonder if I can get it to grow between my rocks. I might just do that!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am a lazy gardener, dig a tiny hole stick it in, let it grow. some I have yanked from the stream (it starts to block the flow grows so well) I just dig a shallow hole cover the roots and it grows.

I am not good at babying plants, they are sort of on their own. I may have lost our crepe myrtles, they have been struggling with the cold winters. Barely grew back last year, so waiting them out see if they come back. If not, won't plant again.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got them all planted. The garden center had a deal if you buy three, so that's what I did since it was so cheap. I'll see how they do. I'll have to keep close attention so they don't become invasive, but I planted them in a way that they should be easy to control. I bought the "aurea" type, which is supposedly less aggressive than the other kind. It really looks nice, and if it grows well I imagine the frogs will love it.

IMG_2155 copy.jpg

Ask a Question