Creepy crawlies ID?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, as suggested in the Introductions thread I am a water garden newbie posting photos here of ‘things’ in our new half-barrel aquatic garden. Hundreds of them hanging to the inside wall of the barrel. Look like something in the early stages of development. Thanks for any suggestions.
DB9D689E-87E4-433E-B983-AD8CF51B8E2E.jpeg
A8168DE5-132B-4C6B-9F54-582C4681B1FA.jpeg
A8168DE5-132B-4C6B-9F54-582C4681B1FA.jpeg

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Really not sure!

they almost look like the jelly wrapped seeds of a water lily, but the tail on them is different than a water lily seed bunch. do the squiggle/move or are they just floating around?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, thanks for the reply, they mostly hang upside down below the water line as if by those tails, around the edge of the barrel. They also swim, a few at a time and yesterday three or four were intertwining on the surface. Quite weird.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry, I've never seen them either!
...if you figure out what they are, please let us know

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Aha very many thanks. I think you are right. Now I will read up what to do about them, if anything. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ah good call @j.w !

I have to say those are indeed weird! But it sounds like you don't really need to do anything to get rid of them - they will grow out of this stage and leave the water. However, if you want to prevent them in the future, you need more water movement as they like stagnant nutrient rich water. Do you have any kind of aeration or fountain moving the water?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, yes there’s a pump that runs a couple of hours a day but you’re right, it seems they are actually beneficial and in their last stage become hoverflies and are beneficial in the garden. Thanks for the reply, and to all other replies. All solved in half a day.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Aha very many thanks. I think you are right. Now I will read up what to do about them, if anything. Thanks again.
Adult hoverflies are important pollinators of terrestrial plants.

I would leave them be, sounds like a good thing!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve seen those! Yep, still nutrition rich water, the algae had boomed, the fish loved it all, and I only saw them where wind wasn’t moving water a lot and fish couldn’t get to them. That’s before I had a pump, and had catfish in the pool pond.

Ask a Question