Critters I saw on our trip

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since our trip to Michigan was an organized outing, there weren't any chances to visit "wildlife" areas. However, the campus itself offered a few opportunities. So, besides seeing multiple varieties of North American Teenage Boy Scouts.....

There was the occasional spotting of ducks & geese in the water ways. What was interesting here -- and I don't have a good shot of the geese -- is that there were maybe a dozen geese and they were all preening in the water. Except for the one who came over to me asking to be fed. There were about 5 ducks, but the ducks were all feeding off the algae. The ducks were funny to watch! They were like a cartoon: they would raise thier heads for a breath in unison, then back under they went!
image.jpg

We don't have chipmunks in Louisiana, so these little guys were cute & fun to watch.
image.jpg

And I've never seen a black squirrel! I did a double-take, walking past this huge tree, when I saw the pile of "shavings." Whoa, there was a squirrel having lunch! I read about them and from what I could understand, black squirrels aren't a separate species, but are a varient of the gray squirrel that tends to live in the northern/northeastern areas. This little guy was striking, and I wish I could have gotten closer to him for a better shot [limitations of the iPhone camera].
image.jpg

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
A black squirrel ? Is that a one off of nature or were there several like that ?

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Oh and I might be the only idiot who has to ask but what exactly is NOAC ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
All these critters are familiar to me here in northeast Ohio.

The chipmunks are too cute and are often seen eating in my yard (they eat whatever feed I put out for the squirrels and birds if they can get to it)

The geese are huge mess makers, just think of :poop: everywhere. You can find them on most any golf course or park where there is water.

I don't really see the black squirrels at my house but I always saw them where I kept my horses.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
All these critters are familiar to me here in northeast Ohio.

The chipmunks are too cute and are often seen eating in my yard (they eat whatever feed I put out for the squirrels and birds if they can get to it)

The geese are huge mess makers, just think of :poop: everywhere. You can find them on most any golf course or park where there is water.

I don't really see the black squirrels at my house but I always saw them where I kept my horses.
You have horses ? My neighbor has 3 but there is about 6 acres of land between me and them so I only see them when I go to my fence line

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh and I might be the only idiot who has to ask but what exactly is NOAC ?
@Marshall Here's the thread I started about the trip:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/and-were-off-headed-to-michigan-for-noac.17632/#post-281506
And no, you're not an idiot, LOL! Are you familiar with the Boy Scouts? Within the BSA is an honor / service oriented organization called Order of the Arrow. The OA has a conference every 3(?) years, and it's called NOAC for National Order of the Arrow Conference. This year was the 100th year anniversary of OA which is why this one was such a big deal.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A black squirrel ? Is that a one off of nature or were there several like that ?
Not sure what you're asking, there, Marshall? This was the only one I saw, but from what I read, they become more common as you travel north & north east. There was some genetic stuff going on in the article I read, but the theory is that the "black" gene is an adaptation to the colder climates. But it's not a separate species but a variant of the gray squirrel.

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
Not sure what you're asking, there, Marshall? This was the only one I saw, but from what I read, they become more common as you travel north & north east. There was some genetic stuff going on in the article I read, but the theory is that the "black" gene is an adaptation to the colder climates. But it's not a separate species but a variant of the gray squirrel.
That is basically what I was asking or rather what I "tried to ask" lol you answered my question though cause I was unsure if this was a mutation or a regular adaptation

Reaction score
Country
United States
You have horses ? My neighbor has 3 but there is about 6 acres of land between me and them so I only see them when I go to my fence line

I had horses for 25 plus years but haven't had any for the last 8-9 years. When you have horses it becomes your life and it got to a point where I had to make a change. Weird now looking back at it I don't know how I had the time or the money all those years :LOL:

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
@Marshall Here's the thread I started about the trip:
https://www.gardenpondforum.com/threads/and-were-off-headed-to-michigan-for-noac.17632/#post-281506
And no, you're not an idiot, LOL! Are you familiar with the Boy Scouts? Within the BSA is an honor / service oriented organization called Order of the Arrow. The OA has a conference every 3(?) years, and it's called NOAC for National Order of the Arrow Conference. This year was the 100th year anniversary of OA which is why this one was such a big deal.
Nope I was never a member of the Boy Scouts and so I am not too familiar with them other than whatever stories makes it in the newspaper and most of that is local but now I know :)

Marshall

Turtle Keeper + CPL(H)
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7b
Country
United States
I had horses for 25 plus years but haven't had any for the last 8-9 years. When you have horses it becomes your life and it got to a point where I had to make a change. Weird now looking back at it I don't know how I had the time or the money all those years :LOL:
I agree my neighbor says that she spends more for those horses than she did raising six children lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We don't have chipmunks in Louisiana, so these little guys were cute & fun to watch.
And I've never seen a black squirrel!

Chipmunks are all over the place around here. They're constantly running back and forth around my pond from fence crack to fence crack.

Black squirrels are rare. I've seen two in my life. I don't know about over in Michigan, but here they are actually Gray Squirrels. I can't remember what causes some to be black. Nice find!

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Around here, about half of the Gray Squirrels are black. There's also a third colour evolving, with reddish-brown tips on the gray fur. This, of course, is totally separate from the much smaller Red Squirrel, which is a different species.
John

Ask a Question