"CRITTERS" IN PLANTS

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Well, was reading about quarantines -- didn't realize it was necessary to quarantine plants....

So, while potting plants yesterday, I noticed some little critters. The only way I can describe them is they reminded me of some kind of small crusatcean -- almost like a little shrimp, but more squatty and flat from side-to-side. A little larger than the head of a pin. Grayish. Wish I had a microscope -- would love to see them up close.

Any idea what these are, and should I be concerned?

Reaction score
You shouldn't be concerned.

Quarantining is plants not necessary. In specific cases sure, but in general, no way is it necessary.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I just rinse my plants off and stick in kitty litter and put Plant fertilizer sticks or tabs in the ones that need it and call it good.

Reaction score
OH thank god, I was worried I had a whole new thing to learn. Thank god rinsing is good enough.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
LoL Buck, you are going to get ulcers over this ponding thing if you're not careful
laughing669.gif

Reaction score
I'm not that worked up about it, the black and white text isn't showing my true emotions. I want to fix the issue, but they're just baby koi, as I recall when I brought home my 30 goldfish for the first pond I lost them at a very steady rate all through the fall. I ended up with about 10 live ones to winter over. Once spring hit I still had all 10. I started buy fantails, and they died about as fast as i put them in, but 2 survived. I still have all 12 of those fish, haven't lost any goldfish since last year, and only fantails this year. That sort of feels like what is going on here, and my gut is telling me it's the newness of the pond. I guess I should have held off more than 2 weeks before adding fish, like maybe the whole summer, I don't know.

But either way, I certainly do want the fish to stop dying, but this isn't keeping me up at night. The water tightness of the waterfall DID keep me up at night, that was a stress full build, I was sure I was going to wake up to an empty pond once I put the pumps into it.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We lost two batches of feeders the first summer, the pond had been cycling for over two months, didn't think anything of tossing in some feeders, 24 hours later they were all dead. That is when I discovered we had acid for well water.......... put no fish in the pond until the next year. But 4 survived, never even knew we had any until the 8 inches of ice melted and I saw 4 fish. Those 4 made the kids in the pond.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We all learn from our mistakes. It's just part of ponding and gives us some info to pass onto a newcomer to help them along and so on it goes. Things will stabilize out for you w/ your koi just like it did w/ your goldfish, although I guess koi are a bit trickier to keep. I don't have any real experience w/ the koi,just the goldfish and that's the way I'm keeping it. Looking forward to seeing your new setup for the new koi. When do they arrive?

Reaction score
Not sure, just logged on, they haven't shipped yet. I don't really care, the longer it takes the better, more time to stabilize the water in the aquarium. Peed it in once last night, but need to go really bad again so thinking about rushing home to do it again...

Reaction score
Not sure, just logged on, they haven't shipped yet. I don't really care, the longer it takes the better, more time to stabilize the water in the aquarium. Peed it in once last night, but need to go really bad again so thinking about rushing home to do it again...

wow did i miss that thread topic..peeing in the water is good? time to throw back a few cold ones then

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, as OP, I was wondering what the little "critters" are that I found in my plants and if I needed to be concerned [thanks, WB].

But now wondering... We now have 5 indoor cats (I know, but I just rescued the cutest, sweetest little kitten -- he was trying to get on I-49 all by himself). Maybe after I scoop the "solids" out of the kitty pan, I could use the rest of the litter for my plants! Clay kitty litter and cat pee! :)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If unscented only clay litter. i.e. no additives

Reaction score
lol, right back around to the pee topic, if you don't need the pee send it to me, I need all I can get...

Ask a Question