Critters in the Lotus pot?

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I noticed a little round animal gliding very quickly along the top of the soil of my lotus pot. I went away for the weekend and when I got back noticed there's been a population explosion! They are roundish, imagine a closed clam shell,glide through the water very quickly, they're very small,perhaps 1mm... any ideas of what these would be and if I need to get something in there to eat them before they eat my Lotus (which, by the way, seems to be recovering!)

Any help or advice would be most appreciated...:lol:

Thanks!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How about a picture? so many different bugs

Reaction score
mogsie: I've been trying to take a picture but they keep coming out blurry - even on macro. My son has a 'bug cup" with a magnifying glass and caught a few a looked at them that way. They look a bit like they're in some kind of shell with a wiggly pattern but they are so small I can't really see "legs" or anything like that. The weirdest thing is they seem to glide, rather than swim and they're breeding like crazy in that warm lotus water!

Abby1: too many to count. Honestly, I was alarmed when I got back from a weekend away. When I left it was a few strange creatures gliding around. Now, it's a colony!
The lotus seems fine, pushing up leaves fairly regularly but I want to know what they are!!

I'm going to try to get another pictures.....

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most likely something that is just living in the lotus dirt. I have tons of different bugs in the bog and pond, even in the lotus pond. They do not seem to bother the plants.

Reaction score
I just made a little video. Any idea how I upload it? I know how to upload pictures but not video....

I guess as long as my lotus is happy living with them so will I but they're definitely kind of yucky! I was just a bit worried they'd eat my plant which, as Bugs Bunny would say: You know this means war!!!LOL!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
do a u tube, you will have to sign up, then post a link to it. i.e. copy the link to your u tube then post in your thread

It will show up as an embedded video.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nope I thought it might be the water boatman so I looked it up on utube so Ermasdaughter could check it out :bouncycig:

Ask a Question