JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Bird feeder? Crows are notorious bird seed hogs.

Really? I have a group of crows that have lived around here as long as I can remember and I've never once seen them by the feeders. They always hang out in dead trees or occasionally in the grass in the backyard.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Are ya sure they aren't... vultures?!? haha! Just kidding! I think birds learn behavior just like we all do - when a group of crows finds your feeder you can count on them being daily visitors.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They could be protecting fledglings, esp if this is a new thing.

And if they are indeed crows, they are quite intelligent birds. It would be fun [well, for me] to just spend as much time as possible watching them and making observations.

When we were digging our pond, I got to "observe" some baby robins growing up, though I never actually saw the babies. Here's what happened: Robin parents were showing up frequently and I was giving them the worms I would dig up [I saved the grubs for the turtles]. At first, the robins [same bird, different birds, same family of birds???] would grab as many worm as they could in their beaks, then swallow them, fly off, repeat, repeat. Gradually, over a week or so, I noticed this change: instead of swallowing the worms, they would carry them off, whole. IOW, the babies had grown from regurgiation-feeding to eating real food. Then, one day......no more visits :( Now, every time a robin visits the yard, I wonder if it's one of those [or an offspring] and if it remembers our interactions. It was sweet, even though I didn't see the babies.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We watch the crows being chased all the time by the mockingbirds and other smaller birds, they dive bomb them. They are bad about snatching baby birds from nests for a snack

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
They are extremely intelligent birds and are chancers, in that will eat anything from baby birds to dead animals etc.
So there has to be a reason they are there my friend .
It may be just for a water supply and they have figured hey these strange biped creatures, they feed birds, they have a water supply, we can use that to our advantage "lets stop over".

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The crows know I nice place when they see one Lou
Your place is like summer resort
They are the only birds I refused to enter the flight of at a bird rescue centre I worked at as as an 11 year old.
Quite frankly Big Lou they used to give me the creeps if I was anywhere near them. :eek: :cry:
At least with the rest of the birds includng the goose that was their guard dog you knew where you stood with them all.:cool:
The crows would do was stare at you with their intelligent yet scary black eyes weighing you up and watch your every move.:sneaky:
The first time I was alone in their flight was my last ..........:chicken:

Dave

Last edited:

Ask a Question