Crushed Charcoal use

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I'm not exactly sure what charcoal is used for in the pond filtration system. I suspect it removes some of the disolved chemicals and trace metals in the water, but I'm not 100% certain.

Here's my question(s):

1- where in the filtration system is the best place to have water run over the charcoal filter?
2- what does charcoal actually do?
3- If you have a good bio filter and a bog, is it necessary to have charcoal, or is it overkill?

Pond stats:
1500 gal
bio filter, bog, mechanical filter/UV
No fish right now (will have 6-10 Comets and a shubunkin or two- Maybe 1 Koi)

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have used charcoal only in interior fish tanks, none in the pond.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
Activated charcoal has lots of tiny tiny pores that traps whatever can fit into them. When the pores are filled up the charcoal stops working. Continued use may release some of the trapped stuff back into the water.

With ponds we generally use charcoal to remove medications or the tannins that discolor water when leaves fall into the pond.

Charcoal should be the last step in filtration. Not sure about UV, I think I would put it prior to UV or on branch of the flow that does not use the UV.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I use it to remove tannins -- ie, cola-colored water. I have it in my SKIPPY, so water flows through & over it before returning to the pond.

Ask a Question