Crushed Oyster Shells

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Hello, Does anyone happen to know what size particle in microns crushed oyster shells are from the feed store?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
No clue, why would you need that?
The drain sleeve I have been using to put them in is really not wide enough to lay them flat. I have been looking for mesh bags-nut milk bags keep coming up, I find some media bags that are larger, but they say anything over 500 microns will pass through. I know--I think to much. lol

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I know it is all different sizes, from dust to 1/8 inch or so, more or less. Other than that no clue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Last year I threw my crushed oyster shells into a thistle/niger seed bag, because that was what I had handy and it worked well. At worst with a 500 micron bag, the dust from shipping and handling will fall through, and that'll dissolve in the water; assuming you don't rinse it first. I recommend rinsing it anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a bag of oyster shells left over from chickens, what does oyster shell do for pond?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A, we are also very windy
Country
United States
Oyster shells hardens the water, brings the pH up to 8.5 and keeps it steady, releases calcium carbonate and magnesium carbonate into the water that the fish and beneficial bacteria need to grow and be healthy.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Nyboy It acts as a buffer for the pH, helping to keep it stable. One of the pond tests you will eventually be doing is called KH [carbonate hardness]. A low KH means your water is more prone to sudden pH swings. Adding crushed oyster shells can raise the KH level (KH is not the same as pH). Sometimes people are concerned that their pH is low or high, but it's not the pH itself that's dangerous to the fish, it's the rapid changes/swings that take place that is dangerous. A high KH is a good insurance policy against these swings. The advantage for oyster shells is that they will gradually dissolve over time which gives long-term protection. For best results they need to be kept in an area of active water flow. I have mine mixed in with the gravel in my bog. And it really doesn't have to be rinsed as even the dust will dissolve.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
some things can be cheap for a pond and they work and that makes us all happy .I even use PDZ horse stall refresher in a fine mesh bag because it helps with ammonia .I even put crushed oyster shells in my veggie garden .

Ask a Question