Crypts?

Reaction score
Hi everyone, newbie here!

I read somewhere a long time ago that cryptocorynes were marginal plants, is that true? Are they suitable for ponds?
I've got a gigantic crypt in my 40g that's taking over half the tank. If I took some of its many offspring and stuck them in my pond (that as yet isn't a pond, at the moment it's a hole in the ground with liner lying next to it) would they survive? Would it be too cold for them, even if I waited until the warmest parts of the summer?

Thanks for your input,
G

Reaction score
:twocents: Pot the new plants up first so that they are established in the pots before you plant them out in the pond. This plant does not like being moved so get them potted and growing before they go out. Moving bare roots stops there growth for a long time, they just sit there. Potted ones seem to take the move in stride.:icon_smile: hope this helps!:banana:

Reaction score
crypts dont like change in environment, period. They drop the leaves whenever that happens. Which is not a big deal, they usually grow back. They are not fast growers either way. Are you planning to put them emmersed out of the water, or submersed? I suggest one or the other and not shallow water, the submersed leaves are too soft and delicate.

Reaction score
I recently pulled out an old pot full of plants from my pond. It used to be in my aquarium but they ended up their when i shut down some tanks. There was a crypt growing well in their, but it never got direct light as their was azolla over it. I think full sun would be a problem for them though.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichV

Latest Threads