culling fish

Reaction score
i have recently had baby fish in my pond and i love them to bits i recently watched a japanese dvd where they are culling the fish they want i was thinking of setting up and selling some small fish on but what do they do to the fish that they dont want as i will never intentionly kill a fish

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Well it depends, some sale, some give away, some terminate them. Mine get a pond to live in, natural selection what survives survives.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I would guess that what top koi breeders cull are probably what I have in my pond. LOL Sometimes, what is culled, is still very pretty and fine, just not the perfect markings that they are looking for in top show quality. Fish that have abnormalities that will prevent them from swimming or living a normal life, may be terminated, as you would not want to continue to breed for that, but others likely go to a different market of buyers. I'm not sure, it's just my guess.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol wayne, I tend to type the same way, run on sentences, lack of punctuation etc. But in the end most is understandable.

My fish are chasing like crazy, they really started chasing when i got the pump up and running, babies on their way! I am going to feed them a little (but not yet) let them do some egg eating to keep the numbers down.

Reaction score
my fish also had babies last year, they are about 3" now. only 2 survived from the eggs as there is only 1 plant for them to hide, they are my pride and joy as i have looked after them from eggs. :razz:
they are all fat again, so i might have a few more additions later on in the year.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Neat that you got babies wayne and throw some more plants in there and you will have lots more!

Reaction score
would have liked to helped you butcouldn't understand the post thought u might want to knwo guiess not soprry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi Wayne, Good luck with your fish fry. I think every pond owner fantasizes that their babies are so nice that a business could evolve around it. I think it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to actually realize that dream. There are a few members here that have a nice little side business selling fish, but I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. Re typing. I would bet that you are at least half the age of the person complaining about your original inquiry. I think people that text a lot or are facebooking etc don't worry a lot about certain conventions that would make for proper English outside of the cyber world. It took me a second to figure out where the periods needed to go but it wasn't a big deal to figure out what you were asking. I have a teenage daughter that can text, facebook, play her i tunes and do her high school ap physics homework all at the same time and I am lucky if I could just do any of those things!

Reaction score
the person complaining
Gee Comet i think maybe u talking about me. Yes I'm too old and decrepit to figure out this new fangled writing machine....OR...maybe after 3 tries I couldn't understand what was posted. Could that be possible?

on but what do they do to the fish that they

I think he was asking something about what he or they

culling the fish they want i
would "cull" a fish to make it into a fish he or they want?

Given no response as mentioned "culling" I kind of think maybe you only think you understood the post.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
wbugger i was only pointing out that there can be generational differences in how people communicate using social media and that I can't hold a candle to my own daughter on the matter now let me ask you a question do you find that more people want to be around you when you are critical of them or do they try to avoid you when you exhibit that behavior i think if you want people to avoid using this forum then you have the perfect approach oh by the way yes he used the incorrect usage of the word cull but it was obvious he didn't want to have to kill any of his fish

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol cometkeith, he just forgot the word don't changes the whole meaning of the sentence, I have done that more than once.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
just a few of my personal thoughts or observations....
your chances of getting any real numbers of fry surviving in the pond are slim. if you want to have enough fry to even consider culling you'll need to seperate them in their own container(s). in a "pond spawn" out of 100s of thousands of eggs that are spewed from the female 1/2 never even get fertilized, out of the half that do, a big percent are gobbled up before hatching. if 10,000 hatch, between defects, them eating each other. the other fish,frogs,turtles,birds dragonflies gobbling them up, and the pump-filtration system claiming its fair share. your not likely left with many after a month. but culling doesnt have to be killing. to cull is to thin out the ones you consider undesireable. you can give them away or sell them... i do cull (destroy) the obviously deformed meaning missing fins or things that would cause them substantially less chances of survival. i ony keep 50 or so koi fry to grow out to sell the next spring. i have noticed one thing tho... what you dont like, someone else will love. i have had customers love fish i thought were ugly, and vise versa. if you want to sell some fish..get a baby pool to use as a hatchery, nursery, and fry pond.. setup a brine shrimp hatchery, and make some spawning mops. if your not raising show quality koi, culling, other than fish with birth defects... doesnt really have to be a concern. if i have 50 - 60 fry i release them into the big pond after about a month. at about an inch long the other koi will stop eating them. they no longer look like larvae and are recognised as fish.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
koiguy, I thought of you and all the great pics you posted from last year of your baby fry. Glad you were able to answer his question properly. Maybe a link to that thread would be good so people could reference it. I found it very interesting when you posted it. Addy, yes you are probably right about the mistake. Another thought on the matter. I think we have to remember there are people on the forum from 9-90 years old and we should be respectful to all even when there is a teaching moment occurring!

Ask a Question