Culling Fry

Reaction score
I have about 200 baby goldfish fry!!! I put a mop in my pond overnite and put it in an aquarium the next morning. A few days later, I have baby fish. I didn't think it would work this well. Obviously I can't keep them all. I would like to cull some out, but which ones to keep? How do I tell which ones will be colored or the plain brown color?

Any help would be appreciated.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
You'll start seeing the colors really forming at about 1 inch, first cull should be deformed fish. You'll end up with some that grow quite a bit faster than others, these will become cannablistic. so at this point they will need to be seperated or they will do a lot of culling for you. By the time your up to 1-2" you should be left with maybe 50% of the original group, at this point you'll be looking for color, but keep in mind, young fish will change through time, so even the slightest color could change into something really nice.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Some of my plain ones have turned into beautiful shubunkins, blacks with gold and red.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have some that get to be 4 - 6" before they change to orange. They stay brown - black for the longest time then all of a sudden they start to change.............so you never know w/ goldies.

Ask a Question