Culling in a pond?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
So I got pond lights last night and suddenly I can see a lot of 1-2 inch fry in the pond. How d you guys capture your fish to cull? I ordered a minnow trap but won't arrive for two weeks. Any ideas?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I got pond lights last night and suddenly I can see a lot of 1-2 inch fry in the pond. How d you guys capture your fish to cull? I ordered a minnow trap but won't arrive for two weeks. Any ideas?
Google DIY minnow trap. I seem to recall seeing something using a 2L drink bottle where you cut off the spout end, turned it around and seated it into the bottle..... Now, whether they'll go into it or not is a different matter. Depending on the sizes of your other fish, you might have to modify the size of the spout so that only the smaller fish can get inside.

What about using a very fine net to scoop them up?

And what are your plants for them after you catch them?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
wait until it's colder and they swim slower. I use just a wide net to catch them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Google DIY minnow trap. I seem to recall seeing something using a 2L drink bottle where you cut off the spout end, turned it around and seated it into the bottle..... Now, whether they'll go into it or not is a different matter. Depending on the sizes of your other fish, you might have to modify the size of the spout so that only the smaller fish can get inside.

What about using a very fine net to scoop them up?

And what are your plants for them after you catch them?

Can you guys recommend a net for me?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm lucky I've never had to worry about culling, nature has always done it for me I guess, cause 5 is the most babies I've ever had in one season

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got my minnow trap at Walmart. Have you tried craigslist to give away the babies? I tried that this summer and was able to give all of them away that I could catch.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I got my minnow trap at Walmart. Have you tried craigslist to give away the babies? I tried that this summer and was able to give all of them away that I could catch.
Oh, good idea! Walmart, Bass Pro, Adademy, DSG......

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I pick a time, towards the end of the summer and lower the water, filling a live stock tank. As pretty as some of the babies are, I will not keep them, because I don't want to be over stocked.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States

Mmm.... tempting I'm just not a craiglist kinda person. I may do it though.

Didn't realize walmart has them...I'm gonna go look.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Aren't you curious to see what they are going to look like before you get rid of them? Especially since you have some nice fish in your pond.

You're right... many of the fry that were in the bog (and I transferred) were nice but the numbers that I saw last night in the night light was a bit on the scary side. I hope the pond doesn't get overwhelmed this winter.

Sadly I dont think I saw any fancy fish fry...all seemed single tails.... Yet the majority of my fish are fancy. Yesterday I saw the oldest white-red common chasing my crowned pearlscale.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, You don't want to be overstocked going in to the winter months.

Even if they are single tails they might have traits of the fancies if they are mixed.

Do you keep aquariums in your house? If so, I would bring some of these guys in for the winter and watch them grow.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
Yes, You don't want to be overstocked going in to the winter months.

Even if they are single tails they might have traits of the fancies if they are mixed.

Do you keep aquariums in your house? If so, I would bring some of these guys in for the winter and watch them grow.

I do have several tanks.. I was hoping to go a winter without having one up and running.... grrr.. I guess I'm gonna need to do this.

Ask a Question