Culling Your Fish

Reaction score
Am hoping to start a lively discussion on your culling ideology.

I have been thinking about it because in a few weeks there is a koi fall harvest in my local area at koi farm, so I was hoping to aquire a few new fish. Technically, I have the correct number of fish in my pond and the only way I can get new ones is to remove some of the current ones I no longer want.

I have 6 or 7 comets that I inherited with the pond when I bought the house that have grown quite large, and these are the first on my hit list to go. As I gazed into the pond last night, I started looking at my koi and started ranking them in terms of my least favorite and ones that I could part with.

For example:

Barack: He's lively mutt and about 11 inches. Unfortunately, he's nearly all black on top, so he's a bit hard to see in the pond and doesn't really add any splash of color.

Sanke Tancho: Also around 11 inches. When he went into the pond, he had this wonderful red tancho spot on the top of his head that unfortunately has gone away. That's left him looking like a bland white fish with some black speckles and a pinkish head. Dull.

Showa: I have three Showa. Big Ben is my favorite and largest fish. He'll stay with me forever. I have his son, who is only 7 inches right now, but he is even more brilliantly colored than his dad. Can't wait to see him grow up. But then I've got this other brother who has great body color. but his face is largely white.

Kohaku: 10". He's just a lot of boring orange. Don't care for his pattern.

Sunnyside: I have two Kariwamono yellow koi (kigoi). One is smaller and has developed an interesting bright red spot on his head this year, so I named him Ghandi. Sunnyside is larger at about 10" and he is a lovely shade of yellow, but I already have Ghandi who is yellow...so I don't really need two yellows.

There's easily 6 koi that I can cull from the bottom of my list to make room for prettier fish. There's nothing wrong with these 6 at all--they are healthy, happy fish. I don't even know who the heck I'm going to give these fellows to when it comes time to move them out of my pond either. I guess I'll Craigslist 'em..I don't want money, but just to find them good homes. Clearly, I bought these fish at the time because I liked the way they looked for one reason or another. And I never bought them with the intention of later getting rid of them. In fact, this will be the first time I'd be removing fish from my pond for this reason.

But, I can't just keep cramming new fish in without getting rid of some of the existing ones--so I'm at an interesting point with my pond in that I've got to make some decisions. And that fall harvest is in two weeks!

So, I was wondering what you folks think about culling for looks? (Sheesh that sounds terrible! LOL!). I guess as my eye has changed for what I think is a good looking koi, some of my herd no longer fits that viewpoint. What fish in your pond would you get rid of if you could replace it with a newcomer and why?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
well i wouldnt kill a fish or anything else just because its not perfect !!! .i have old fish in my pond and yes there just boring old comets to some !!
sorry but this topic is a little disstressing for me

Reaction score
stroppy I think you missed the part where the fish will be given away to someone else for free i..e into someone eles's pond. Not to be killed.

I am at the same point with my 220G African cichlid tank. Fish I want to get rid of and make space for new ones. some stores will take them back

Reaction score
LOL! Yeah, Stropp. I am not killing them at all. I am hoping to give them to someone who perhaps can't afford them, but has a wonderful pond. A neighbor of mine just told me about a friend who has a real mud pond that would love to have them for his grandkids to enjoy. That would be the perfect situation for these fish. I just need more room for new specimens.

Newday, no store will take these...and I wouldn't shop at a store that took back other people's koi either. God only knows what diseases could lurk in that situation. My fish are 100% disease free, but that's what everyone would say...

Its not about perfection. These fish technically are perfect in every way. I guess I've just got my eye on some fish that will be even better.

It's the koi owner's dilemma. Every time I go to a koi farm I want one more...and I don't have the room for another.

But I expected the post to perhaps be a bit controversial. For example, if I had a dog, I certainly wouldn't get rid of it because I saw another one that was prettier. Any dog I've had has lived with me until death....

Keep the comments coming, I look forward to hearing your thoughts--agreements OR disagreements.

DrDave

Innovator
Reaction score
Sounds to me like you are attempting to relocate your fish. Culling, by definition, is killing the undesireable. This is a standard practice in Japan and amongst a lot of Koi breeders who are known only for premium Koi.

Reaction score
yes, I guess you are right when it comes to the exact terminology. I do mean it as re-homing and not killing. So my wording is not correct...Not sure if any of the docs can rename my post to Re-homing Your Fish.

To be clear I would never kill or harm my fish. LOL!

Nonetheless, the question still stands. How do you all feel about re-homing your koi?

stroppy

stroppy
Reaction score
oh right sorry i kinda missed the point ....i guess its ok to rehome i do my fry ...but to be honest i could never get rid of my adult ones they have become part of our family ... even if they are not quite as pretty as i would like ...and as theres so many of them ...meens i dont have room for some koi ..that i would love to add to my pond ....but maybe i can have a couple in my new pond ;)

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
I got the same problem....I have about 7 lrg koi that i would like to live in someone else's pond. I need to make room for some better quality koi ....
When the water gets colder and they are not as fast, i got to do it..

Reaction score
We are in the same spot then doccase. That's precisely my intention...when I do one of my bigger water changes in the fall I'm gonna net a few of the koi I mentioned and then stick them in my smaller upper pond temporarily, so they'll be easy to catch when I find the proper home for them.

I am torn with re-homing them, as they've been with me since their first year...but like you said I"ve got my eye on better quality koi.

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
It hurts my wife more than it hurts me...
We gota do what we gota do..
just like you Koikeepr i want better looking koi

Ask a Question