Curious what these are?

Reaction score
Hello,
Recently I have noticed these hatching in my koi pond they are only on the surface and there are a lot of these clusters. The ones that have hatched seem to squiggle back and forth and are really small. I am in Ohio and its still rather cold so I am unsure what they are today it's 40 degrees and more have hatched? Thanks so much for any assistance :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 375

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Are they attached to a surface or free-floating in the water? Your post said "surface," but in the pic it looks like they are on something. Do they attach to your fish or get eaten by them? Do they go anywhere or do anything, grow, or change in any way? Are they starting out as eggs? I'll be curious to find out what they are, too. Almost look like tiny shrimp......

Reaction score
Mmathis said:
Are they attached to a surface or free-floating in the water? Your post said "surface," but in the pic it looks like they are on something. Do they attach to your fish or get eaten by them? Do they go anywhere or do anything, grow, or change in any way? Are they starting out as eggs? I'll be curious to find out what they are, too. Almost look like tiny shrimp......
LoL yeah my kids said they are sea monkeys haha they are eggs and seem to be in clusters and some are hatching and squiggle around the pond almost looks like they are hopping. They are just floating around on the top of the water.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Can you get a closer pic, I don't believe it's any of the above mentioned, problem is, I don't know what they are, but I have seen the water fleas and dragonfly larvae it's not either of those.

Reaction score
fishin4cars said:
Can you get a closer pic, I don't believe it's any of the above mentioned, problem is, I don't know what they are, but I have seen the water fleas and dragonfly larvae it's not either of those.
I will post a pic tomorrow I just got to work :) thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I was outside today (I'm in IL, so probably about the same climate as you) and saw tons of teeny tiny black water bugs. I saw them in the ditches in my pasture, as I was pushing the mud away so the water could flow. I wonder if it's the same thing you are seeing. I'll be interested to hear what others say.
Yours look very different, now that I look at them again. Try zooming or cropping the photo you have above and see if there is more clarity to the bugs for us to see! Almost look like aphids or something of that nature.

Reaction score
CountryEscape said:
I was outside today (I'm in IL, so probably about the same climate as you) and saw tons of teeny tiny black water bugs. I saw them in the ditches in my pasture, as I was pushing the mud away so the water could flow. I wonder if it's the same thing you are seeing. I'll be interested to hear what others say.
Yours look very different, now that I look at them again. Try zooming or cropping the photo you have above and see if there is more clarity to the bugs for us to see! Almost look like aphids or something of that nature.
I will try and get a close up in the morning :)

Reaction score
I think you just nailed it :) they even look like what I have. Figured I'd share this info I found on them.
Springtails

Collembola are common in the spring in ponds. They are tiny and bounce all over the pond surface. They are often white but can also be black, orange, yellow, red, or even blue. They do no harm and small animals may eat them. Less than 0.2 inches long, they use a forked tail to spring about. They do not enter the water. They can occur any place that has some moisture.

Springtails are sometimes mistaken for aphids but springtails are smaller. They often occur in large groups and seem to appear out of nowhere. They are not a threat to the pond animals. Various species may eat pollen, bacteria, mold, decaying plants, and/or algae.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Quite interesting never seen them in our UK pond and nobody has ever reported anything on them.
Are they similar to the sand hopper and their darker cousins who like to hide under rocks doormats etc ?
I't'd be interesting to know , thanx for sharing this mystery ?

rgrds
Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Wow, great info, Adavisus and thanks for getting us more info on it Zen! I'm sure that's what I saw yesterday as well, although I have the black variety in my area. Glad they are no threat to anything, and may even do some help with algae!

Ask a Question