current aerator not cutting it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Right now I have just a regular aquarium aerator in my pond. Its the biggest you can get but still its only meant for aquariums. My pond is about 2,500 gallons and I just think that the fish would appreciate more oxygen. I have a couple questions before I buy a larger aerator.
1- When I look at pond aerators there are so many to choose from, what size would be suitable for a pond my size?
2- Placement in the pond. Should I submerge the air stone to the deepest part of the pond, or should I put it on a shelf a little further up?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My pond is 1700 gallons. I own two air pumps, one smaller and one bigger. I run the bigger one, in the summer and suspend airstones from the smaller one, in the winter.

I like weighted tubing, it looks better. I'm switching from a membrane wand type diffuser, to a disk, this summer...the wand doesn't last long.

Where you place it depends on lots of things, like where your waterfall is, return from filter, lilies etc. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
My pond is 1700 gallons. I own two air pumps, one smaller and one bigger. I run the bigger one, in the summer and suspend airstones from the smaller one, in the winter.

I like weighted tubing, it looks better. I'm switching from a membrane wand type diffuser, to a disk, this summer...the wand doesn't last long.

Where you place it depends on lots of things, like where your waterfall is, return from filter, lilies etc. :)
I guess rule of thumb would be to keep it the furthest away from your return, waterfall and lilies?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I keep mine in areas where there is little water movement. Lilies like calm water....but they don't get their way in my pond :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I got laguna for 149 dollars and it came with a 12 prt metal adapter 2 airstones and air line and 3 year warranty .But have to say most brands are the same ,even the cases look the same .Just go by cfm and get a little more .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
how many fishes u have and for what purpose , is it for aeration or for filter or for winter ice? what is the watt of ur present aerator ? u can get idea by that how much more u want

It will depend on fish load rather then pond size , i dont have any criteria but i can guess 25wats pump is very powerful for 10 to 30 fish of 12inch+ as we r talking about additional aeration with filter . so u can even have 20 watts , it may have 40lt/min air output

i get idea from its watts , usually the output is similarly proportional to watts but

place it around 2 to 3 ft , deeper u go it will reduce pressure , ppl prefer air stone as it doesnot make noise or disturb viewing much and smaller bubles dissolve in water more oxygen .

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
An aerator to function properly and for full effect should be placed in the deepest part of your pond. An aerator's prime function is to bring richly oxygenated water to the bottom to keep those bacteria that live there happy. This will minimize any build-up of organic sediment.
The aerator size should be based on surface area of the pond and maximum depth. Most aerators are offered with these parameters listed.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Been traveling and busy. Miss the forum ... On the other hand, I've had an aerator running 24/7 for years. A Hakko. Now I keep toying with removing it and popping it on the shelf. My oxygen DO level is around 6.8 -8 in summer heat and no one seems to be stressed or the worse for it. ... I have the falls going where the skimmer and main bio converge. There is also a main drain. With what the Geezer said ( just kidding Meyer ) it makes me wonder with all my continual circulation if running an aerator for me is in vane. Just one air stone!

Meyer Jordan

Tadpole
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
But that does beg the question....does every pond need an aerator? The simple answer is no. In many instances it is just a waste of money. 80% Oxygen saturation is quite sufficient to keep all pond critters alive and thriving from bacteria up through the fish. This level is easily maintained by a proper flow rate coupled with a waterfall or stream or both.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
But that does beg the question....does every pond need an aerator? The simple answer is no. In many instances it is just a waste of money. 80% Oxygen saturation is quite sufficient to keep all pond critters alive and thriving from bacteria up through the fish. This level is easily maintained by a proper flow rate coupled with a waterfall or stream or both.
is there a way to measure oxygen levels?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Right now I have just a regular aquarium aerator in my pond. Its the biggest you can get but still its only meant for aquariums. My pond is about 2,500 gallons and I just think that the fish would appreciate more oxygen. I have a couple questions before I buy a larger aerator.
1- When I look at pond aerators there are so many to choose from, what size would be suitable for a pond my size?
2- Placement in the pond. Should I submerge the air stone to the deepest part of the pond, or should I put it on a shelf a little further up?

Check Petsandponds.com. They are located close to you and have the specs for their air pumps and diffusers listed on their webpage.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
is there a way to measure oxygen levels?

Yes - but ... A DO measuring kit is expensive. I know as I have one. I can't say a meter is really necessary with good water movement. They make inexpensive kits, not sure about accuracy. A great way to tell is by the behavior of your fish. If their gasping or spending too much time at the surface with a pondering look on their faces, they could be lacking dissolved oxygen, mostly during the warmer water temps as it's unlikely in the winter months. I'm sure you'll accurate readings with the better ones but ask yourself, Do I really need one? Plus they're funky to use with
a solution and a membrane, etc. Have used it in years. Sits on the shelf.

https://www.flinnsci.com/dissolved-oxygen-in-water-test-kit/ap6138/

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00023RVOI

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Ec...rd_wg=EAKGs&psc=1&refRID=GF7J90D5C6529Y9V97DW

Ask a Question