Currents in a pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Hi everyone,

As many of you know I have a new pond (yay) and I've added 7 very small coy as of today. They of course have disappeared but before that I added 2 lilipads and, some fish tunnels (aka 4 inch pvc pipe with stone on top). While I was adding them I noticed the current was very strong almost pushing down on the rock as I laid it on top of the pipe for the fish hiding places and I was wondering if this is normal? I do have a large amount of water flow plus a very strong air pump but I was curious if anyone else has seen this issue in their own pond. I'm worried about the new fishes being strong enough to swim around.

Pond is 10x12x3 feet deep

Night video:

Day Video:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Remeber rain water isnt good for the pond as to the flow rate it does look alott but can you video it on a nice day please it'll give us a better idea of the flow the rain wasnt helping non .
we have quite a flow on our koi pond down towards the bottom drain but can control the output of the bubbler on to of our 4" bottom drain

rgrds

Dave

DrCase

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Every thing I have read the koi like current,, it keeps them in shape
I have a ball valve off my pump that gives them a strong current along one side and they are in it all the time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Dave 54 said:
Remeber rain water isnt good for the pond as to the flow rate it does look alott but can you video it on a nice day please it'll give us a better idea of the flow the rain wasnt helping non .
we have quite a flow on our koi pond down towards the bottom drain but can control the output of the bubbler on to of our 4" bottom drain

rgrds

Dave
Sure. Here it is from today. We also have a 4 inch drain. The shadow is keeping you from seeing the waterfall in the upper right but it is going.

Reaction score
HTH said:
The lilies will not put up with that much surface movement. Not a good choice of plant for this pond.
I'm a believer in lots of water circulation, but I agree with Howard that those lilies will have a hard time in there. Looks like it's mainly your aerator that is creating the most disturbance. How about posting a video with the aerator shut off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
DrCase said:
Every thing I have read the koi like current,, it keeps them in shape
I have a ball valve off my pump that gives them a strong current along one side and they are in it all the time
Not too much they have to be viewed in water that shows them off at their very best , I'm not doubting you, ours has a very even turn over we could if we wish whack it right up but we wouldnt see them properly as such a slight bubble field on the surface surfices .
If I turned up the bubbler I would blow them clean out of the pond

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
I have a smaller pond with a fountain right in the middle and the lily pads grow like crazy.

From the new pond I moved them away from the bubbles and today they have already reached the surface.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
Mmathis said:
And Tex, it's "koi," not "coy." Sorry, but it's been bugging me and I just had to say it.....
lol sorry. I was just trying to type out the question. Hope it wasn't too confusing :)

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
texmaster said:
I have a smaller pond with a fountain right in the middle and the lily pads grow like crazy.

From the new pond I moved them away from the bubbles and today they have already reached the surface.
They might do ok there, maybe turn down the air a bit. The pads need to be above the water all the time. The waves can not make the top surface wet. Once the leaves reach the surface check to be sure there is no water spray from the aerator of falls hitting the leaves. The lily plant absorbs oxygen from the surface of the pads and that can not happen if they are wet. Spray hitting buds will cool them and prevent them from opening too.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my koi love the hose in the middle of the pond and I like watching them swim against the water coming out .I used a ball valve on the hose end to lower and raise the amount of water coming out .Plus I think it helps aerate the water .I bought an aerator also and had to add more hoses to it to cut the air flow .I put the extra air hoses in the filters and in the water fall area and I think that cut down algae growth .I have not had much time for my pond lately .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
8a
HTH said:
They might do ok there, maybe turn down the air a bit.
I wish I knew how! There's a big screw (flathead) at the top but I've found zero information on the unit I have.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
texmaster said:
I wish I knew how! There's a big screw (flathead) at the top but I've found zero information on the unit I have.
Could you tell us again what the unit is? You may have mentioned it but not sure in which thread.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Nice Pond and lights! I have a 450-500 Gallon Pond that is 6' x 10' and only 2' at it's deepest. My flow is considerably strong around a 2,000 GPH flow rate and I can tell you now, the Lilies will not like that and might start to droop or sink from being beaten up too much from my experience.

Ask a Question