Curvature of koi's spine, "at a loss to explain it".........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't have a chance yet to read your links (too hard to read on phone) yet but I will.

Please update once Brian comes over and takes a look at them.
I emailed my friend Spike who was Brians opposite number in the AKCA , this is what he said about it :-

Dave,

I've only had one "bent" fish in my pond. It was due to electric shock. It recovered when I put it in green water for a few months. It was a young fish.

Other things (besides electric shock) may cause bent bodies. I think toxicity is another one of those but I have no idea how to fix them.

I'm sorry but that's all I have to offer.

Spike
So we have two possibilities electric shock/lightening or perhaps toxidity .
All our perameters are normal so that rules out ammonia toxidity "So what am I missing".?
Preping the wood around the pond involved a good old-fashion scrubbing of the decking "something I've done for years during my Naval and pre Naval days".
I made sure nothing went into the pond water and was extremely careful around the upper part of the wooden surround , besides nothing could be that fast acting.
However my next question is what sort of preservatives are in decking ?
Any ideas anyone please ?

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Something I have just remembered and Jeff just confirmed it wasnt only us effected we had a power cut during he night I dont know if that would have any particular bearing here though .
We think it was off for approximately 3 hours before they restored power , we only realized it when we got up in the morning but surely test kits would have picked up on this cut was around the time of the storm

Dave

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I actually just went out with my multimeter and checked the voltage of my water (stuck both electodes into the water), and it read anywhere from 10 to 100 millivolts. I then unplugged everything and it read the same. I was surprised to get any reading at all after everything was turned off. I'm wondering if this is just background voltage from the dissolved ions in the water maybe?

If you put both electrodes into the water, you won't read anything that's meaningful. You have to have one probe on what you want to measure,and the other on "Earth" or "Ground", so you read the potential voltage difference between them. "Earth" or "Ground" is always 0V, except in fault condition,

What you're probably reading is floating current inside the volt meter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The first thing I did was measure out the correct amount of Blanket answer and after an hour spread it around the pond in a watering can plastic and brand new so there was no weed killer or anything like that we'd have to worry about .
When we noticed the two koi and there problem the first thing I did was pick up the phone and grill the manager of cloverleaf about his product if the instructions are followed its totally safe
if you read the reviews about this product only three koi have ever perished most probably because the owner didnt add enough in the way of airstones:-

http://www.cloverleaf.uk.net/blanketanswersurvey.html

As you know we run twelve airstones in our filters and have another areator running the spindrifter bubbler that pushes huge amounts of air into the pond so that angle was also covered .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
If you put both electrodes into the water, you won't read anything that's meaningful. You have to have one probe on what you want to measure,and the other on "Earth" or "Ground", so you read the potential voltage difference between them. "Earth" or "Ground" is always 0V, except in fault condition,

What you're probably reading is floating current inside the volt meter.

Oh yeah! I didn't really think my measuring process through much! I'll have to remeasure when I get home tonight.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Same here Maggie , have you noticed any of your goldfish developing a curvature of the spine ?
Vitamin C deficiency is another reason for it however you may well be right .
I've just been researching more into this curvature and this is what I came up with it makes very interesting reading however our koi are not as pronounced with their curvature as the Author of the article who I'm friendly with in South Africa please read then like myself try to illiminate all the other causes :-

http://www.koi4u.co.za/index.php?op...86:kinked-back&catid=4:case-studies&Itemid=19

Hopefully we wont loose these two but their bending may become more promouced in the next attachment there is a photo of a large yellow ogon who is bending but due to a tumour , if I took a photo then put our largest side by side they have identical curvature but without the tomour :-

http://www.nda.agric.za/docs/AAPS/Articles/Aqua/Fish Diseases and Health/koi husb.pdf

Let me know if you find any bent fish in your pond :happy:

Dave

Good info in the links you shared :) I even printed out the second one to keep for easy reference (y)

Reaction score
Country
United States
The first thing I did was measure out the correct amount of Blanket answer and after an hour spread it around the pond in a watering can plastic and brand new so there was no weed killer or anything like that we'd have to worry about .
When we noticed the two koi and there problem the first thing I did was pick up the phone and grill the manager of cloverleaf about his product if the instructions are followed its totally safe
if you read the reviews about this product only three koi have ever perished most probably because the owner didnt add enough in the way of airstones:-

http://www.cloverleaf.uk.net/blanketanswersurvey.html

As you know we run twelve airstones in our filters and have another areator running the spindrifter bubbler that pushes huge amounts of air into the pond so that angle was also covered .

Dave

Dave I have no doubt you used the product with great care. I'm just always leary of chemical use like that :cautious:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Dave I have no doubt you used the product with great care. I'm just always leary of chemical use like that :cautious:
Not chemicals Maria enzymes and minerals thats all nothing else :happy:
Oh yeah! I didn't really think my measuring process through much! I'll have to remeasure when I get home tonight.
Max I borrowed my neighbour Jeffs volt meter running one electrode to earth in the ground the other in the pond itself we came up with a reading of 0.9 so we can rule faulty electrics out of the equasion .
Yours should be about the same as our reading when you do it again

Dave

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh they are well and in the main pond Maria , I had a chat with Brian tonight and he explained the red areas on the Aka Kigoi as brusing coming up under his albino scalation which should disapate with time ..
He say's they do recover to a degree but the slight kinking may or may not become more pronounced dependant on the shock to the system and the conraction of musculature in so much it may have damaged the backbone.
But they will survive and from what has been said and read up on thats to around about 95%, its stopped niether being first and sixth koi to the dinner table today, which I was suprised about "yet sort of settled at the same time by this .
If we have to have a couple of kinky fish in the pond what the heck, its better being sligltly kinky than dead .

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Dave, I'm glad they seem to be doing alright. I thought of you when we had a huge storm last night.....wondering if there is anything we can do in such situations?

I'm going to attend a koi auction today! Not planning on purchasing any fish, just observing and learning :)

Ask a Question