Cushioning under big rocks?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Things are moving right along with my pond! I'm working on the edging now. Here is a picture from the end of the day today:
P1020510.jpg

My fish are going to be so happy! Anyway, there are three big rocks, the largest of which is 18"x12"x12", that are hopefully going to go on the ledge on the right. It will be a bit of a challenge to maneuver them onto the liner. I've seen that there are pads for putting under big rocks to protect the liner. Is this really necessary? They cost about $25 here! I'd prefer to just put a couple of extra layers of liner. There are 2" of sand under the underlay. Don't see why they'd need cushioning, myself.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We just used scraps of liner under rocks for padding. As long as you set them down carefully - avoid dragging or dropping - they should be fine.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I always just put some scrap liner under the rocks. Even if not needed. I double lined my stream, mainly because the deer walk it all winter. I figure rather be safe than sorry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I always just put some scrap liner under the rocks.

I figured it was better than throwing it away! We had LOTS of extra scraps. We still have enough extra pieces left over that I'm constantly thinking "where could I add move water...". My husband would have me committed.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
For my pond liner under my boards I used extra pieces of the pond underlayment that goes under your liner .It was the heavy duty stuff ,so it was thick

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
Thank you all! We got the rocks in today and they look really great. Used an extra two layers of scrap liner under the big ones.

We spent most of the day working on the stream which will curve around one end of thie pond. (The idea is that water is pumped from one end of the pond and then split with one hose going to the top of the stream and the other splitting into two to run into a bog. This is something that JB suggested.) but We are really winging it with the stream, and by six this evening I went out and decided that tricky point where the stream flows into the pond was wrong - it needs to be lowered closer to the level of the pond. So I undid half of what we accomplished today. Hopefully it will come together tomorrow.

I rinsed the gravel but man, it is still really dirty. I'm wishing that I hadn't filled the pond and could wash it thoroughly and then use a sump pump to get rid of the dirty water. But I think I can figure out a way to divert the stream until it runs clear. Thanks again.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I didn't wash our gravel too much and on a well. The dirt cycled back into the bog. It is dirty.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
We didn't rinse our gravel at all. Too much of it! The dust all settled remarkably fast.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep within a day or so the water cleared.

Ask a Question