Cut Back Pond Irises When Still Green?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Happy New Year To All

This year has been so unusual with the weather that I have a situation that I have not encountered before.

I have 2 large pots of irises in my pond. My pond is covered by a greenhouse type structure so it never freezes. But it normally gets cold enough for the irises to die back. I cut them down when they turn yellow.

This year they are all still green so I have hesitated to cut them back. Some look as though they are even putting on new growth. The other plants that normally die back did so weeks ago and they have been trimmed. The irises are still going strong.

Should I cut them back anyway or keep waiting for colder weather so they will start to die back?

If they are not cut back at all and continue to stay green, will that affect their blooming in the spring?

Thanks for your help.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If they are not cut back at all and continue to stay green, will that affect their blooming in the spring?
I wouldn't think so the green leaves are what collect the nutrients for the flower production.

I never cut mine back and they are still green still growing so I am basically ignoring. They say it is turning cold again, they may die back. then I will groom some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've done it both ways & haven't noticed a difference in the next year's bloom. Some of my iris tend to stay semi-evergreen, though, and those ones I usually leave, or only do select grooming on them when/if individual leaves turn brown & fall into the water. Other ones (the variegated foliage & yellow iris) do go fully dormant, so I cut those ones back completely, even if some of the foliage is still green when I'm doing the trimming.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. Seems it may get cold again later this week so I guess I'll wait and see how they do.

I suppose in warmer areas they may never die back so maybe I'm concerned over nothing, as usual.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Better to ask and not be sorry in the long run :)
harumpf; that ain't the philosophy YOU used when you went and snuck a quick ride on Super Boss' lil scooter last month! It was something you adopted from what @Jhn likes to call 'divine intervention'; 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission!'

And nooooo ya don't, don't go blaming THIS incident on GB; remember? He was too busy nekid dancing down by Hellhole Creek...or was that Sh*ts N Giggles? I can't keep track of all his goofy parcel nomenclature...

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
harumpf; that ain't the philosophy YOU used when you went and snuck a quick ride on Super Boss' lil scooter last month! It was something you adopted from what @Jhn likes to call 'divine intervention'; 'better to ask for forgiveness than permission!'

And nooooo ya don't, don't go blaming THIS incident on GB; remember? He was too busy nekid dancing down by Hellhole Creek...or was that Sh*ts N Giggles? I can't keep track of all his goofy parcel nomenclature...
Do what I say and not what I does looney tuner
1641062761925.gif

I is the Queen...................I needs to put up my normal day Queen siggy thing.................more work, where are my servants when I need them?
Get off yer bike and attend to my needs @GBBUDD
1641063010716.gif

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
The Queen resides on her thrown but has been know to ride w/the wind when needed and don't think I haven't had my servants spying on you turkeys hiden in the hay!
1641064287209.gif

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'M with @Jhn spring and someone building and FINISHING can't come fast enough.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Got a nice big juicy one just waiting...................open wide, now swallow it down and stick out your tongue @GBBUDD it won't hurt at all :smuggrin:
red pill 1.gif

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@WaterGardener I’ll throw my 2 cents in. For aquatic plants, not that much experience, but this year, not only are some of my perennials not dying back as usual for this time of year, but some (day lilies) are putting out new growth….. Weird weather, indeed, and now I’m wondering same as you. I think I’m going to leave them alone, unless there is some scientific reason that they should be cut back regardless of their growth cycle. Any botanists out there?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My parrots feather, iris and other plants are all growing spring growth. Tomorrow we go down to 17f with a high of 34f so a lot of the new growth will probably die back. Years ago I decided hey plants you are on your own, the plant knows what is best for itself lol. If it dies and does not come back oh well. So now every plant I have has handled all of the temperature swings we have. I don't worry about them.

Back on track please................with the original post ? .

Ask a Question