Cut the cord today.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Today I cancelled our satellite tv service.
Cable isn't available where we are and we have unlimited internet data download available.
We got tired of paying over $100/month for the basic channel package and having many instances where "THERE WAS NOTHING WORTH WATCHING ON!"

I've checked a couple of PBS stations, and we can watch programs worth watching via their websites.
Local news is available on their websites and there are some great iPad apps that have great up to date news streams.
Plus we would rather donate to PBS than keep on paying for channels we never watch.

It feels very liberating!

Anyone else no longer tied to a cable/satellite package?:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
So you still have to pay for your internet right? I would love to get rid of Comcast and do the internet only thing and use magic jack as our home phone but hubby dear won't have it! We'd have to pay around $50. for the internet each month but we would save $100. on the tv and phone being gone. I have magic jack set up already as an extra line but the pkg deal from Comcast comes w/phone too. My sister does fine w/o the tv and phone up in Bellingham. She uses her internet, Netflix and tv antenna to get some service up there. The antenna thing won't receive anything here, we tried it and got nothing. So here we sit paying through the nose

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Yes, our internet is a separate bill ($95/month) plus I need it for my work.
I think Magicjack is a US thing and I have tried an internet phone service before (Vonage) but it costs the same as a regular landline here so no benefit to us there.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We use mj, 19 a year for our house phone, 35 a mo for cell, dtv , a box in penna, a box in florida, a box in maryland, so have dtv in three states, internet at home is comcast, only choice we have. Here we use a hot spot via our phone, 15 a mo.

Honey would not want to go to just net flix etc, down here we can't the hotspot does not have the speed for a movie. So dtv works great.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Hubby addicted to TV on weekends when he is home. I have my favorite shows that I love and then HAVE to have HBO... where all the good shows go. Game Of Thrones New Season coming.... It is expensive but we don't go out and I don't spend too much on other stuff. Lots of people cut cable that I know cause they are getting it all on the internet too. Kids I know rarely watch TV these days either, they are all on computers.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I watch so little tv these days. Actually, when it comes down to it, all I watch is sports, news, and sitcom reruns. Nothing new is worth watching anymore. Its all reality crap.....So cutting the TV would be possible if I had a bit more in life to keep me occupied. Maybe someday.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You have us!
I watch so little tv these days. Actually, when it comes down to it, all I watch is sports, news, and sitcom reruns. Nothing new is worth watching anymore. Its all reality crap.....So cutting the TV would be possible if I had a bit more in life to keep me occupied. Maybe someday.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, I knew the cost of internet was high in the US, but I had no idea it was that high! We pay £5 per month for internet access, and that is 15MB/s (which isn't considered great, fibre-optic broadband isn't available on our road).

We have Sky (satellite TV), and we hardly watch it. Since getting Netflix we use it loads so we are thinking about getting rid of Sky altogether. Perhaps after Game of Thrones and Mad Men has aired, as they are not available on terrestrial TV straight away and we would have to wait ages to see them otherwise!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Just saw a ad for a ubs thing, rabbittv.com Says it will pull interent tv stations and music and you can watch via your computer, 10 bucks............have not checked into it to see what anybody says about it.

Reaction score
Mitch,

Have you ever heard of FTA satellite TV? FTA = Free To Air. It is broadcast in both C and Ku band and once you have bought the equipment, you pay nothing more, ever. No subscriptions, no club dues, no equipment rentals, etc. Hence it is FREE!

Unfortunately, this venue is quickly becoming a thing of the past. When I first started this as a hobby, I had somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 channels. There were some really great ones. Movie channels, documentary channels, history channels, sports channels all over the place, news programs of all sorts, playboy channels, religious channels, music channels and even radio feeds (no video - just talk and or just music). Most everyone of these has now become encrypted and no longer free. Now you are lucky to get 200 - 300 channels and most of these are all foreign news or foreign religious channels or shopping networks.

I even got CUBAVISION... That is really pretty cool! Cuba's state run TV station. I used to see Fidel Castro come on once in a while and give a speach. But on the weekends, there were movies almost all day and night - IN ENGLISH, with NO commercials and no editing and they were first rate films, too. Some of them brand new films just barely out of theaters here, some were great classics. Some of the movies were foreign films and they were broadcast in the original language, although they had Spanish subtitles below.

There were also a lot of "NEWS FEED" channels - these were AWESOME! They were raw video of on-the-scene reports of news happenings. You could see the reporter setting up his gear, rehearsing his/her lines, doing audio tests, cracking jokes or doing really dumb things. These feeds were broadcast live up to the satellite via a dish truck, then back down to the newsroom where they recorded them and edited them. You could capture that live signal on its return path back to earth to the newsroom and see it LIVE! before any editing was done. These were my favorites.

Before I moved away from the farm in 2012, I had eight fixed and one motorized satellite dishes in my yard and was watching signals from 35 different satellites. Currently I don't have any of them set up anymore. They are all sitting in storage, jsut waiting to get back in service.

This was just a hobby - a pastime that my brother and I got into together. We really didn't watch any more TV. It was just a game to see how many satellites and channels we could actually pull in for free. So we spent our time (instead of watching the telly) aligning and tweaking our satellite dishes and experimenting with new satellite recievers, equipment, test instruments and signal meters and cables, etc. By the time I had to quit buying new toys for this hobby, it turned out that it really wasn't FREE after all. I may have spent $10,000 over the course of 10 years on equipment just to play with. That made it comparable to the standard satellite TV costs today, but I got ALL the channels for free until the last couple of years and that would have cost you about $300 per month back then.

I very much enjoyed it though. Not for watching TV because I don't like to sit in a chair for very long. But, it was something that allowed me and my brother to do together that required skill and technical knowledge and hands on training and construction.

Here is a story about one of the news-feeds my brother and I stumbled upon one night while playing with our satellites at his cabin. We were just surfing channels on a night when there happened to be a space shuttle launch and ran across a video showing a guy setting up equipment with the camera aimed towards the launch area. There was a number on the screen that kept scrolling across and it looked like a telephone number with the words: Truck 1 - Ray. We decided to call it just to ask some questions and when we did, the guy walked over to his bag and pulled out a cellphone and voila! I was talking to the guy on the TV! When he answered I was actually a bit shocked and didn't know exactly what to say so I just blurted out... "Looks good, Ray, I can see the pad perfect!" and then I hung up. He pulled the phone away and held it down to see the screen for a moment, then looked into the camera rather confused like and then went about his setup chores.

Gordy

Reaction score
Anyone else no longer tied to a cable/satellite package?:)

Actually Mitch, I have to say that I have never paid for any TV service before in my life. No cable, no satellite.
Always watched TV on the OTA (Over The Air) terrestrial broadcast channels that they don't charge for or the FTA satellite channels that my brother and I pulled in.

I wouldn't want to pay for any TV service ever. Especially not today. There is NOTHING worthwhile to watch except reruns from the 50's 60's 70's and maybe a little of the 80's. Every program shown after then is pure garbage! I can't even stand to be in an adjacent room when the new shows are on a TV. I usually vomit or get some bad headache or feel like jumping off a cliff or pressing my head in a vice or shooting someone in charge of the TV program. That is how well I think of todays TV programs.

Gordy

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Gordy, that sound neat.
I haven't heard of that before. It sounds like you need equipment that can change the direction which I don't have. Mine is a fixed dish plus I wouldn't know how to go about programming the receiver.
I used to play around with citizen band radios, way back when.
My dad was an electronics guru and always set us kids up with stuff.
OTA isn't available in our area. We're too far out in the boonies.

(Hey, our smilies no longer work...? I just get a message that says "page does not exist")

Reaction score
Mitch,

Yes, you would relaly need a motorized dish assembly to get the full advantage of FTA satellite, but since it is a dying era, I wouldn't suggest it much anymore. I still have all the equipment so I plan to set it back up again someday on a small scale just for a conversation piece.

I used to play around with Citizen Band radio back in the heyday, too. I started out with one mounted to the frame of my gocart when I was just in grammer school! I was a sixth grader driving around the town on a gocart talking to truckers on the CB! HA HA

Two of my nephews and one of their wives are very active HAMS now. They all have their HAM license and are really working hard at trying to get me to begin a new hobby in this venture. I am reluctant at this time, but maybe eventually I will take a shine to this, too.

Currently, I just want to get back into what I really enjoy the most... Which is fishing and boating and anything to do with being outdoors on the water. I love water and being outside. Just not in winter when it is -15 degrees F! No sir! No sailboating and skinny dipping for me this time of year! :)

Yeah, I want to get my boat revamped and get this bait pond going so that I can spend my free time out fishing on the river in the sun and warmth of summer!

Gordy

HARO

Pondcrastinator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Actually Mitch, I have to say that I have never paid for any TV service before in my life. No cable, no satellite.
Always watched TV on the OTA (Over The Air) terrestrial broadcast channels that they don't charge for or the FTA satellite channels that my brother and I pulled in.

I wouldn't want to pay for any TV service ever. Especially not today. There is NOTHING worthwhile to watch except reruns from the 50's 60's 70's and maybe a little of the 80's. Every program shown after then is pure garbage! I can't even stand to be in an adjacent room when the new shows are on a TV. I usually vomit or get some bad headache or feel like jumping off a cliff or pressing my head in a vice or shooting someone in charge of the TV program. That is how well I think of todays TV programs.

Gordy

You know, Gordie, I could have written that same post myself!
John

Ask a Question