cut the liner or hide the liner

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Hole is dug. Liner is in place. Now I have to finish it off. I have about a foot and an half of extra liner all around the pond. Do I somehow hide the extra liner or cut it and discard the extra. Can anyone point me to a good source to help me make this decision. I want to do it right the first time.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
If at all possible, Hide the extra liner, That way if you need to add to the pond or go a little deeper the liner is there, cutting it you won't have the extra if the pond setlles and you need it either. I fold mine under as far as possible. I've come back later on a build in the past and was so thankful I didn't cut the excess off.

crsublette

coyotes call me Charles
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Do not cut off the excess!! This is what I did on mine and I kicked myself for doing it ever since. The pond will settle some and the excess will be helpful. I especially wished I have kept the excess around my stream so I could have expanded upon it. Now, I have to put liner strips that I glue down on it and just hope I did a good enough job so it won't leak at the seam.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Taking everyones advise, I did not cut the liner. I dug a trench around the pond and hid it as best as i could. Here in SE PA we have had a lot of rain. What is happening is the area were I have hidden the liner it is becoming its own tiny pond. I am going to have to try and fix that tomorrow. Do you any suggestions? I can put rock there but I really don't want ponding (on pun intended) outside of the liner for fear of Mosquitoes. Another question, do most people replace the grass (sod) up to the rocked in area or do they use mulch? I don't know quite what to do.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hide it and glad I did it settled and then I raised the sides of the pond

cr8tivguy

Tim Thompson
Reaction score
I cut my liner off as well and regret it. My water level isn't as high as I wanted it. It's about inches lower that planned (because I don't have enough liner). Neatly rolling it or folding it around the edge and hiding it with mulch or rock is a great way to keep the excess liner available without compromising your aesthetics of your pond.

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Don't cut it, find a way to hide it. I just recently had my pond water dropping and discovered a leak, in one of my creeks. It was where the liner was about 2" higher than the water level but over the years the ground has shifted a bit and ended up leaking at this point due to some shifting of some rocks and the ground. Better be safe!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
From others advice on here. I just folder all excess under the edge of the liner, so it could be used again if needed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Try not to cut it. It may seem easier, but you never know if you'll need it.

I personally wanted to make my stream a little wider and deeper but stupidly cut the liner because the package suggested it. dumb mistake..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
Canada
Whatever you do, NEVER CUT THE LINER! The installer of my pond cut it and the following year after the liner settled the sides gave way. The result was having to reinforce the sides....and the second mistake he made...using large stones on the bottom and sides to hold the liner in place. Now I have a leak, and am beginning to wonder whether one of the stones cut the liner (at the bottom!!!)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hide it always hide it just incase the sides are not high enough to keep runoff from going into the pond also .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
You can fold the extra into a camel hump sandwiched between rocks or other material and tuck the remainig under itself. This will give you a bit of wiggle room for future possible settling of your pond as well as keep outside contaminates from washing into your pond. Couple of picts to illustrate are below:

drawing.png

fold_liner_up.png

Ask a Question