CUT UP PVC PIPE AS BIOMEDIA?

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does this work, or is the surface of the PVC too slick....?

Don't know what suddenly made me need to ask this. I have a bunch of cut up PVC in my filter. Was just looking at my Matala and those fibers seem pretty smooth, yet it works as biomedia.

koiguy1969

GIGGETY-GIGGETY!!
Reaction score
before you cut it ...run some rough sandpaper up and down it a couple times...( wrap the paper or emery clothe around it and slide it up and down).. the roughened surface will make the bonding easier for the bacteria.100 - 120 grit would probably suffice, maybe 80.

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
It takes a long time to cut a few gallons worth of pipe. Don't underestimate the value of your time. Generally I am big on DIY but you really do need to think about time here.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HTH said:
It takes a long time to cut a few gallons worth of pipe. Don't underestimate the value of your time. Generally I am big on DIY but you really do need to think about time here.
LOL! I save all my bits & pieces from projects :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
The old fashioned ladies hair rollers make a good media, as do those plastic scouring pads ( the round ones ) I've heard of people using cut up plastic milk bottles and use those .
As long as it doesnt leach out anything nasty plastic wise, isnt brittle then you can most probably use it it can as a bio media but check first you dont wish to poison or harm your fish some recycled plastics do this because of what they have been made upout of ..

rgrds

Dave

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes the more surface area the friendly bacteria can attach themselves to the better thatswhy we use K1 filter media and two different types of bio balls as well as bio chips

rgrds

Dave

HTH

Howard
Reaction score
I do not see where PVC pipe is any smoother the the plastic used in snow fences which is popular in larger bio filters. I wonder if the concern is just 'net wisdom' . No way on gods green earth would I bother to cut then sand pipe for bio media. Cutting is bad enough.

I am going to need large amounts of bio media this summer and am thinking about trying this fence. I seen people using it in ponds maybe 15 years ago.

5279f50a-b005-41c1-9c96-f81312881a2e_300.jpg

Reaction score
I think if someone was going to go out and PURCHASE something, we can list many affordable items, but if we are talking about a hodge podge of spare parts and scraps laying around, I see no reason not to use them as filter media... worth it to me to spend a few minutes on prep like sanding .....

Reaction score
From the point of view of a bacterium, something that appears smooth to us is a rough landscape. These guys are about a millionth of a meter long. They also secrete "glue" to stick themselves to surfaces. Don't waste time sanding.

Mmathis

TurtleMommy
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
HTH said:
I do not see where PVC pipe is any smoother the the plastic used in snow fences which is popular in larger bio filters. I wonder if the concern is just 'net wisdom' . No way on gods green earth would I bother to cut then sand pipe for bio media. Cutting is bad enough.

I am going to need large amounts of bio media this summer and am thinking about trying this fence. I seen people using it in ponds maybe 15 years ago.

5279f50a-b005-41c1-9c96-f81312881a2e_300.jpg
That netting would make me want to go skiing! I have some fencing in mine, too. Like the PVC, it's just bits& pieces of left-over stuff.

fishin4cars

True friends just call me Larkin
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Have to ask where it's being used, If using in the TT I would consider using Lava rock. really cheap and can be gotten from Lowes, home depot and most landscaping companies and nurseries. Pipe will work but it has a lot of void space in it and can trap stuff in the pipe in some cases depending on the flow, if there is a slow trickle of water Lava rock would probably work better IMO.

Ask a Question