Cutting roots on floating plants

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Here's my two cents on this one - I routinely cut the roots off my floating plants. I find it actually encourages growth. Now I don't mean cut them off to the quick - like my fish like to do on occasion. I just tear off about 2/3 of the length and toss them back in the pond. My theory - and I might be all wet on this one - is that, as they regrow those roots, they will be pulling more nutrients out of the pond. Again, just a theory, but I've been doing it for years and my hyacinths are always gigantic!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The first time we bought floating hyacinth, the woman helping me choose some good ones plucked them out of the tank, ripped the roots off, and put them in a bag. I figured she knew what she was doing and I've done it ever since!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
This is new to me. Maybe I'll try it.
Lately, the past few years, my floating plants haven't done that well. They used to completely cover the pond and I would have to remove a bunch of them.
I just figured they weren't good varieties as the years before.
What kind of fertilizer can I use on water hyacinths and water lettuce? I can setup a small container as suggested.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I’ve just used miracle gro - dissolve it in the water and float the plants for a day or two.

Ask a Question