Cutting tree roots without killing the tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
I started digging the small end-pond yesterday, and as expected, ran into some serious tree roots. The main tree in the middle of my yard is a 40-foot locust (I believe a thornless honey locust?) with a low brick wall around it filled with dirt and used as an herb garden. My plan is to pull out some of the brick, and have a stream running to a small (3' diameter) pond beside the tree, having the edge of this pond run under a large piece of slate that ties into the brick wall, and giving the illusion that the stream is running into a cave...

Got all that? Great! :lol: So obviously I am digging pretty close to the tree (about 30" from the trunk), and I only plan on going down about 2 feet. Reading up tonight on locusts, they have a taproot, and the larger roots are supposed to dig deep into the ground. I only have 3-4 roots pushing up through the grass, so I feel this information is correct.

What I'm running into is several roots about 2" diameter where I'm trying to dig my pond. So does anyone have experience with locust trees? Are they hardy enough to survive me cutting out some roots this size? Since the tree is so large, I know these can't possibly be major roots, but I'm worried that if I cut several roots from one area, it might kill off a section of the tree, and I really like this tree!

Any advice would be appreciated. Seems like the ground is pretty well thawed already, so I might as well dig between snow storms!

Ask a Question