CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That might still put me a little closer to the edge of the cistern than I'm comfortable with and would be a long, slow trip w/ a boulder strapped in,
finish the cistern i have mentioned before ziptie your milk crates wrap them in the fabric and then backfill it will make that trip close tot he cistern less of an issue as you go close to an edge the first time it gives a feeling of no problem but by the tenth time trying to squeeeze by soils can loosen and let go before you know it . WORD OF ADVISE KEEP THE BUCKET FACING WHAT EVER DIRECTION YOU MAY FALL AND LOW TO THE GROUND SO IT STOPS THE ROLL .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I can't say for sure but is that what your research said to use 3" above milk crates i myself would definitely look for additional support like the aquablock panels or azek

I just figured if I have the extra support of the paneling, it doesn't really matter how much cover I have. I'm sure another foot of cover would spread the load very well, though. Of course, if I dug it out another foot, I'd just end up wanting to add another layer of crates...

Regarding bamboo - I know there are different kinds but the stuff we have here is terrible. It can only be eradicated by digging it up, which isn't easy. If you have an opportunity to get rid of it while you have some large equipment, you might consider doing it!

I planted the bamboo myself last year. On purpose! So it's staying. ;)

finish the cistern i have mentioned before ziptie your milk crates wrap them in the fabric and then backfill it will make that trip close tot he cistern less of an issue
Good idea.

WORD OF ADVISE KEEP THE BUCKET FACING WHAT EVER DIRECTION YOU MAY FALL AND LOW TO THE GROUND SO IT STOPS THE ROLL .
Extra good idea.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Years of experience says even with the azek or aquablock panels doubling up the top . a thin 3 inch layer over the top to ME again i am no expert seems thin. expecialy if your going to add boulders or if your thinking of running an excavator over it. If i had to use what i know the closest build to the cover of a cistern is a culvert. if you cover a culvert in 3" of stone you drive a car over it theres not enough weigh distribution. Place a foot of fill over it and you can drive a box truck over it . cover it with 2 feet of soil and you can drive a 200,000 pound drill rig over it on a eighteen wheel flat bed. Just a fyi not telling you your right or wrong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: Do you see that azek sheet in stock where you are? Definitely not around here.

I will look at digging deeper for better compression strength. My thought was that static load will be quite low and not need much cover at all. 3” of gravel is decorative only with the sheet gods spreading most of the weight.

The sheet goods are, in theory, taking the place of additional soil cover. Probably doesn’t hurt to have a little more cover, though.

Paging Dr. @Lisak1: How deep are your aqua blocks buried?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
if the depot sells it here you can order it there.
Again im not telling you to do anything milk crates are your own technique

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
How deep are your aqua blocks buried?

The hole was six feet deep. Big aquablox stacked three high. The blocks filled just over the first four feet. Most of ours is buried two feet deep in soil. The portion that's exposed is covered with small boulders, then a layer of geotextile, then a layer of river rock. The exposed portion is mostly below grade with retaining wall on both sides. Here's a good shot before all the plants went in - you can see how much lower the area is that you can actually see. The blocks extend almost to the timber retaining wall on the right hand side:

First spring.JPG

Obviously we aren't driving anything over our blocks. We buried them as deep as we did because of the design of the pond and surrounding area. We could have left an even smaller exposed area if we wanted, but after living with the pond, this was a good choice because of the few times we've had flooding - we can hold a bit more water than we need to if we have heavy rain. Happens once or twice a year, but often enough that we're glad we have some wiggle room.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Lisak1 first time i have seen that picture of the pond you guys did a great job.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hear yeah mine is getting there very quickly. im now at a point where im trying to find low growing jungle plants per say even bugle weed is starting to look good it may take over an area but it stays short

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
If you planted it yourself, it's probably the good kind. It is beautiful! The stuff here would overtake and sink Gilligan's Island! :p I can't wait to see your pond all finished! It is exciting to follow everyone's projects!

Ask a Question