CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'll ponder your suggestion, GB...well, water you know, falls to me then to pump up the pond dia-log, even if yours is always leaking! Are we having pun yet????

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@combatwombat - you are correct about your cistern (or rain exchange as we call it) needing to hold enough water if the pump is shut down. It's an engineering feat. In our case, we just closed our eyes and hoped for the best. Actually setting the level of your outflow is a big key, as I'm sure you've already figured out, since the pond can remain completely full and hold most of the water, unless you set the outlet too low. Or you don't foam well under your weir rock. Ask me how I know.

We almost always have water above the gravel, but that has more to do with slow drainage through the gravel vs too much water underneath. And we have played around with bib liner - I like the waterfall flowing into water vs disappearing into the gravel. Helps that errant fish that may swim over or get chased over the edge! When the rain exchange is completely full, the water is well above the gravel, but still contained. Our overflow is set just at the top of the liner to allow for drainage during heavy rains - also known as the times I kick myself for not building a 2000 gallon rain exchange.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
This is one way to do a negative edge

Attachments

• 20210824_102947.jpg
    20210824_102947.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 23
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Heres one way to do it
20210824_102947.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@GBBUDD: That's almost exactly how I've been planning to build mine. I posted the sketch below back on page 18. As for sizing, after getting another 1' deep, the first thought I had was, "hmm, space for another 500 gallons of storage."

IMG_2321.jpg

@Jagsfan: I am truly blessed! It does come with a few complications, though. Mostly that at 3.5' deep, it turns to mostly sand which is pretty unstable.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Little bit of trouble in paradise. Called up my local supplier, and they don't have any 18" culvert that I was planning to use for my pump vaults. And they don't ever cary 15". They have plenty of 12" and 24".

12" might work, but would be a tight fit for most pumps. Flow rate using slots cut in the pipe could also be an issue. I can stick a mini centipede on it to increase flow rate, though.

24" would be more than sufficient to house at least 3 pumps, maybe 4 if I ever needed it, but how would I cover a 24" opening? That's a big circle that needs a strong cover that can be walked on. One idea: Cut slots in the top at ground level to accept a 2x4 or heavy gauge metal stud to act as a joist. Then there are probably lots of materials I could use as a lid that would rest on that support structure and be plenty strong.

Also had the thought of using 55 gal plastic barrels. Seems easy enough to find lots of them on CL and they're cheap, too. would have to stack them 2 high to get to the bottom of the cistern. Concern is lateral strength, though. Maybe not much of a concern, though, as I see a lot of preppers bury plastic barrels as caches.

The one thing I won't do is buy Aquascape pump vaults + extensions. Priced it out at $1,300 to do what I need to. I totally get why people are happy to pay for them, though. Too much thinking/engineering otherwise.

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I used this to cover my 18 or 24” pump vault, can’t remember which size I got, now. Fine to walk across too

F0A5A553-2A07-43B5-9455-C3539CC2F162.jpeg

Jhn

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thanks. What is it, though? I did see that some sump vault covers will interface w/ n-12 pipe pretty well, so that could be an option.

Polylok 3008-RC Septic Tank Riser Cover, 24-Inch, Green ….this would have been helpful with the pic​

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
but how would I cover a 24" opening?
THEY HAVE 24 '' COVERS MADE OF PLASTIC FOR 60 BUCKS WHEN I LAST BOUGHT THEM LOOKS LIKE A STREET MAN HOLD WITH AND EDGE. IN the video i have that starts with the non woven wall you can see one of them in the landscaping next to the bog it is green same here but i went for a hd COVER you can also secure the man hole cover with self tapping screws intot he culvert it can be seen in the link bottom left

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks @Jhn & @GBBUDD for the culvert cover recommendations. Those are good options.

Might have just had a lightbulb moment about the rigid covering over the crates. What about 2" XPS insulation? It's used in below-grade/ ground contact scenarios all the time and layered under concrete slabs. And it's only $30/sheet vs. 1/2" pvc sheets which are on backorder everywhere at about $175/sheet.

So, I think I have 2 viable choices: 4x8 sheets of 2" xps insulation board or 5/4" composite decking. XPS would be about $100 total and decking would be about $250. Both regularly available. Not sure which will provide better performance for this very "non-standard" installation, but time to make a decision and get back to work.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
i have concerns about insulation board as some of which i have removed in years past was almost like chalk. I WOULDNT BE COMFORTABLE WITH IT LONG TERM. DECKING I HAVE NEVER Seen AN ISSUE WITH DETERIORATING AND it has been reviewed for dock building after years of pressure treated use was found to be very bad. tHEY ALSO HAVE 1/8 FIBERGLASS PANELING AT THE DEPOT OR LOWES I THINK ID LEAN TOWARD THE FIBERGLASS for the one reason its a heck of a lot easier to install and haul

Ask a Question