CW's Back Yard Water Garden Begins!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Alright, here's what I need to figure out for the next phase of building. Hoping some of ya'll can advise.

I haven't dug the bog yet. I am not going to be able to dig the bog until I complete the rock work inside the pond because once it's dug, my access to set rocks will be cut off. So, I am going to have to decide exactly where my spillway from bog to pond will be, set all elevations, and then set all framing boulders and spill stones BEFORE I dig the bog.

I understand the concept of how to do this. I'm just not sure how much I trust myself to get it right on the first try. I kind of only get one shot at this.

IMG_2775.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
CW, you are really making me want to get going on my pond --- AND you are making me want to put it off longer. After doing the first one and having a few years for the memories to fade, it's sort of like what they say about childbirth: you forget how hard and painful it was. I think it is so great that you are working with your Dad! I'm jealous of your big rocks and your Barney! It's so fun to see this coming together!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
CW, you are really making me want to get going on my pond --- AND you are making me want to put it off longer. After doing the first one and having a few years for the memories to fade, it's sort of like what they say about childbirth: you forget how hard and painful it was. I think it is so great that you are working with your Dad! I'm jealous of your big rocks and your Barney! It's so fun to see this coming together!
All I heard is that we’re about get to follow another build thread soon…

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Alright, here's what I need to figure out for the next phase of building. Hoping some of ya'll can advise.

I haven't dug the bog yet. I am not going to be able to dig the bog until I complete the rock work inside the pond because once it's dug, my access to set rocks will be cut off. So, I am going to have to decide exactly where my spillway from bog to pond will be, set all elevations, and then set all framing boulders and spill stones BEFORE I dig the bog.

I understand the concept of how to do this. I'm just not sure how much I trust myself to get it right on the first try. I kind of only get one shot at this.

View attachment 142722
can't you just knock the deck down and cut through that side to get at a good rocking position? I mean, it would give you another 30 odd pages of pond build when you finally ever get this DAYUM first project done, but you'd call it 'Deck Rebuild 101'.

:):):)

What exactly are you having issues with? Were it mine and I had your constraints (rebuilding the deck notwithstanding), I'd set everything up rockwise EXCEPT for the last row across the entire bog-pond junction. This way, you'll still have options AFTER you did, even if it would include smaller, MAN-manageable stone. You could just roll rocks into place OVER bog if you had to, once filled with gravel and then lower them down onto your shelf/facia support.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
All I heard is that we’re about get to follow another build thread soon…
Next weekend is supposed to be gorgeous here - cool and sunny. Perfect to go out to the rock place and see what they have and get an idea of cost. I am hoping to get out this week and pull weeds and such around the overgrown excavation!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
can't you just knock the deck down and cut through that side to get at a good rocking position? I mean, it would give you another 30 odd pages of pond build when you finally ever get this DAYUM first project done, but you'd call it 'Deck Rebuild 101'.

:):):)

What exactly are you having issues with? Were it mine and I had your constraints (rebuilding the deck notwithstanding), I'd set everything up rockwise EXCEPT for the last row across the entire bog-pond junction. This way, you'll still have options AFTER you did, even if it would include smaller, MAN-manageable stone. You could just roll rocks into place OVER bog if you had to, once filled with gravel and then lower them down onto your shelf/facia support.

I think I’ve got it figured out now. There’s just a specific aesthetic I want to achieve and will require hitting some tight elevations in the waterfall. I think I’ve got it sorted now.

I like your deck removal idea. When @Lisak1 and @GBBUDD told me that their cisterns weren’t big enough for full sustainability, I thought about phase 2 of this build to be demoing the deck and building a raised patio using aquablocks as the base to store lots more rain water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
He just wants to have the longest build thread!
In time hands down, but have to admire the digging for what works and what doesn't i Don't think i had my pond , double bog , stream dug . By the time i scavenged all the rock and built everything it had to be 8 months. but I DID NOT HAVE BARNEY grazing out back all summer either. Not sure which id prefer no rental costs for excavator or no rock charges .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I appreciate how invested ya’ll are in the schedule of my project. I’m just doing what all my construction clients used to do to me—change my mind every 10 minutes and blowing up the schedule and budget. Kinda fun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I appreciate how invested ya’ll are in the schedule of my project. I’m just doing what all my construction clients used to do to me—change my mind every 10 minutes and blowing up the schedule and budget. Kinda fun.
heh, heh; do you want to share what your wife thinks of your schedule? :cool:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Been thinking I need to get some wood on site to weave into my shoreline. Asked Dad to scout the local island while he was out fishing today. Looks like we're going to go lasso some driftwood this week.

123_1-1.jpeg
123_1-4.jpeg
123_1.jpeg

Ask a Question